Remington 700ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wenatcheepa

Reaction score
HELP!
I have to use #11 caps in WA. Has anyone experienced the primers not going off with the Remingtons?
My son and I each have one and have had this problem a lot. Changed nipples EXTRA CLEAN, I am frustrated. It will shoot some OK then one will not fire. Recock and they always work. I noticed the misfired primer is compressed somewhat after the first.
Any ideas?

wenatcheepa said:
HELP!
I have to use #11 caps in WA. Has anyone experienced the primers not going off with the Remingtons?
My son and I each have one and have had this problem a lot. Changed nipples EXTRA CLEAN, I am frustrated. It will shoot some OK then one will not fire. Recock and they always work. I noticed the misfired primer is compressed somewhat after the first.
Any ideas?

i changed over to the .209 primer ...so can you ..you can upgrade to the bigger primers.. i am surprized that when u bought ur ML the upgrade bolt was not in the box ..

wenatcheepa

Any ideas?

This is a very common problem with the Rem 700ml and the factory hammer spring.

My first question would be have you taken your bolt apart and cleaned the insides of the bolt? Blowback from the rifle will eventually erode your spring to being worthless. It is pretty easy to do if you have a Remington Bolt tool.

Remingtons come with a 24# factory spring - this is really a marginal spring. I replaced my springs with a new 28# BLITZSCHNELL STRIKER SPRINGS from Brownells.

This is the sping number for a 26# replacement spring..
969-000-175 for a Remington ML

But I would suggest you use this 28# spring
969-634-028

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... %20SPRINGS

This not a real difficult jod to replace the spring but it really helps if you have the right tools.

Where are you at in WA? Well that is a dumb question after i read your logon name...- i am across the line from Pullman - but visiting the kids in the Tri-Cites for Christmas...

Give a shout if you need some more information...

Wow, great responce! I have had the spring apart and it was rusty. I will order a new spring next week and see how it goes. Thank you very much.

Also, in WA we can't use 209 primers.

Buy a bolt take down tool for those Remingtons. I bought mine at Gander Mountian. It was $10.00, came with the tool, bottle of solvent a brush and wipeing cloth.
Makes it so easy to clean that bolt after each shooting session.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back