Remington primers, reduced fowling????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vaccaro

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the muzzleloader primers made by Remington? Their site claims reduced fowling. I recently purchased a Pro Hunter, still researching info before taking it to the range. Thanks in advance.

Mike, I've about tried them all,and could really tell no diffrence in accuracy,or cleanliness. The one's I use are called Cheddite 209 primers. They are available at most Gun Clubs,(that have reloading supplys,and shoot Trap). Paying $7.00 plus is a waste of good money. You can buy about any brand at a club, selling shooting supply's for 20-25.00 per 1000! The reason I like the Cheddites is they are a sealed primer,and that's a little extra protection in damp/rainy conditions. Ron :D

Thanks guys!

I have worked in engineering most of my life and still find it amazing all the variations/combinations available when one really starts digging. I have read several articles on some of the info from the linked article. I'm as confused now as I was yesterday. Having an understanding of physics leaves me thinking that the lighter primers would be the way to go. Idea being to not unseat the sabot from the powder charge.

Thanks for the replies, will have to keep reading and in time start the range work. Hopefully it won't be as mind bending as one of my 220 Swifts was. Finally found out it had an extremely deep throat.

Seems to be alot of buzz about primers. I guess my main concern is keeping the bullet seated until the powder charge ignites and to keep fowling at the firing pin to a minimum. Have read about the teflon tape, 25 cal conversion, small rifle primer caps etc, etc. Hard to know where to start.

I reload for a few different centerfire calibers and shotguns, so I am aware of how variations in components can make a difference. Too many choices here in America. In the end accuracy is the main goal, cleaninig chores are a peaceful pastime.

Thanks again,
Mike

Mike,I think some can make anything complicated. :D I know guy's that use the Fed.209A (the hottest primer available) and shoot sub MOA groups. If it's moving their bullet forward(which means it's moving the charge also) it's doing it the same every time! The reason they use the hot primers is they absolutly want the gun to fire under any conditions. The hotter the primer the more noticable the crud ring (sometimes). Using Windex,or Mean Green as a cleaner completly solves this problem. When I hunt I use a plain "spit patch" and no problems. I just tell most to use 100grs. T7, a 250 SW/SST,and any 209 primer for a starting load. You will be impressed as to how it will shoot. One friend of mine Still hunts with the very load I mentioned above,and has killed many deer with it. He said: It shot all the bullets into one hole at 100yds. and I quit right there. There's allot of wisdom in that statment. If it drives tacks,and kills deer out to 150yds. It will be hard to improve on it. But most of us can't leave well enough alone,allways looking for the Bigger,Better,Deal Ron :D

I am on my second hundred of the Remington "muzzleloader only" primers. So far, they are good primers, positive ignition/etc all the time. They ARE expensive and I can see no difference in crud/residue compared to a CCI 209. I'm beginning to think all the primer "buzz" cleaner ignition/reduced residue/no crud ring is horse hockey. The propellent is the issue not the primer.

I think your right,Chuck :yeah: Two of my friends use Fed209A primers. They are as "Hot' as your gonna get,and both of their guns shoot MOA. Like I mentioned earlier,if they move the bullet/charge,they are moving it the same every time to get results like that. I've tried any,and every primer I could get my hands on,and can't really see any "real" diffrence in any of them. They all go bang,and the gun never fails to fire. :D Ron

Are these the Remington 209's your talking about?
I paid $5.00 for these and they are not one bit differnt acting in my rifle than the CCI I have used or the 209A's I tried. I still get the same groups, I still get the same center of the primer blow out too.
I myself am returning to buying the CCI's by the brick of 1000 for about $20.00.

:D Al

Triple Seven 209 primers

I heard(read) that all 209 shotgun & the Remington ones cause some sort of fouling in the breech area . I just purchased an Omega and am going to try T7 powder & primers , supposed to be the cleanest , I'll get back to ya with the results . :D

I went and bought the Winchester ones with the deer on the front. I figured what do I have to loose. $3.95 per 100 tax included. :think:

Latest posts

Back