Remington Ultimate Muzzleloaders are Back

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received an email today from muzzle-loaders.com and checked out the Remington UML, which I bought about seven years ago and converted it to a smokeless model. They are now being sold for almost twice what I paid new seven years ago. I don't know if that is inflation, price gouging, demand, etc. I doubt Ruger is making it better, it was pretty well-made I thought when they came out originally. What are your thoughts? Below is a link:

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products...J1q6NNin_4QUwUkk5XdKCDqQlC7Km2HhZoUzTx.BwF3Xt

I like the vertical grip stock.
Good long range hunting rifle for those wanting or required to use a 50cal.
The Fury 320gr will shoot excellent from it.

OEM ignition system still SUCKS. They know about the Arrowhead ignition system, just too stupid to use it. First thing I'd change.

I like the vertical grip stock.
Good long range hunting rifle for those wanting or required to use a 50cal.
The Fury 320gr will shoot excellent from it.

OEM ignition system still SUCKS. They know about the Arrowhead ignition system, just too stupid to use it. First thing I'd change.
Using either Arrowhead or Hankins systems would require a big payment to one of them I would imagine. I agree however, those are much better ignition systems.

Using either Arrowhead or Hankins systems would require a big payment to one of them I would imagine. I agree however, those are much better ignition systems.
https://arrowheadrifles.com/product/uml_replacement_plug/
I can assure you, shooters with the RUM or UF rifles will be MUCH better off with the Arrowhead ignition over the OEM. Luke was the first to offer both the RUM and UF modular ignition systems. Most RUM and UF owners have already converted. ZERO leaking with the Arrowhead ignition.

The OEM system is terrible for head spacing. Head space goes off the thickness of the case head, which VARIES UP TO .020" in thickness. No way to get a perfect seal.
This is how the OEM system works. Imagine a case that had a thickness that was .020" shorter???

1692232041731.png

When you end up with gas leaking, which one will, this is what to look for in the spent brass..........

1692232129339.png

Once the cases start leaking, the gas cuts the breech plug. Once its gas cut, your only option is a replacement. If Remington isn't offering replacement breech plugs AT THIS TIME, I would either go with the Arrowhead system or not shoot the rifle until I could. When that nipple gas cuts, it'll blow smoke all over out the action ports.

1692232442653.png

Best long range muzzleloader I ever had was the T/C Black Diamond XR. I was confident with it up to 160 yards my best take here in the NE. I know that`s not considered long range by todays standards but it worked for me. Kind of sad I ever sold it.

having no skin in this and just looking over Rem's system it looks funky from the git go, a gimmick.
I am not impressed especially for 1500 buckerrama's
Just know that right out of the box, just like a UF, mount a scope, follow the directions for loading/shooting in the manual, and long range is at your fingertips.
Bullet energy is outstanding using the Fury 320gr.

Now......... 1500 buckerrama's????

Let me see............. people spend $8 to $10 on a cup of coffee just to pisk it out!

Yesterday I had to run the Slingshot 400mi just to get a code reset that took less than 90sec. I stopped at a gas station to fill up, and while there grabbed a Snickers bar. Gas was paid at the pump, but when I paid for that Snickers bar, it cost me $3.18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYTHING is up in price. You pay for quality.

I never had any trouble with the factory system, but I can definitely see where over time those shell cases would deteriorate/break down and allow gas to escape. I shot my UML very little, just enough to stay in practice and hold zero each season.

Most RUM and UF owners have already converted. ZERO leaking with the Arrowhead ignition.
Amen.

I had a customer who was having ignition issues because of the problems you outlined above. The Arrowhead system is a tremendous improvement.

Imagine using a funnel to pour something into a container. Now imagine turning the funnel upside down and trying to pour something into the container through the narrow part of the funnel. Which of these examples best describes the factory system? The Arrowhead system is more like the way we normally use a funnel.

I just received an email today from muzzle-loaders.com and checked out the Remington UML, which I bought about seven years ago and converted it to a smokeless model. They are now being sold for almost twice what I paid new seven years ago. I don't know if that is inflation, price gouging, demand, etc. I doubt Ruger is making it better, it was pretty well-made I thought when they came out originally. What are your thoughts? Below is a link:

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products...J1q6NNin_4QUwUkk5XdKCDqQlC7Km2HhZoUzTx.BwF3Xt
Ruger? Did I miss something? What does ruger have to do with it other than they bought marlin from the holdings company that used to own Remington et al?

I kind of like the way REM did the ignition system. But it needs some improvement though. But maybe they improved it on the new one. Using cartridge cases with primers makes it easier to insert another one when loading. So it isn’t a bad idea especially when we had huge shortages of percussion caps.

I suspect the royalties for the Arrowhead system was probably too high. Thus they didn’t go that route. Instead of having the pointed tip they should have left a short shoulder on it. Thus more area to help prevent gas cutting. But then maybe selling more breeches was the goal at the time though. But then unless someone has a new REM in-line we don’t know what they did.

I bought one second hand before Remmy got sunk by the holding company. Shoots like a CF rifle. Wish I had a longer range to get more proficient over greater distance.

I kind of like the way REM did the ignition system. But it needs some improvement though. But maybe they improved it on the new one. Using cartridge cases with primers makes it easier to insert another one when loading. So it isn’t a bad idea especially when we had huge shortages of percussion caps.

I suspect the royalties for the Arrowhead system was probably too high. Thus they didn’t go that route. Instead of having the pointed tip they should have left a short shoulder on it. Thus more area to help prevent gas cutting. But then maybe selling more breeches was the goal at the time though. But then unless someone has a new REM in-line we don’t know what they did.
Its the cartridge cases that cause most of the gas cutting. Example ONLY............. Case #1's head thickness is .300", but case #2 is .280" There is no possible way to have correct head space with brass that varies .020".

I still prefer the old 700MLS to the ultimate...

The old MLS (with the kit I sell of course) is:

Lighter
Handier
Just fine with BlackHorn209
Less expensive
Still compatible with most 700 Short Action accessories (just like the Ultimate)
Doesn't require someone to have reloading equipment to reprime brass.. use the 209 and discard
And my 700MLS has served me well for years.

Just my overall opinion (and many would say I have a dog in the fight as I sell/support the old MLS/ML)

What I really don't like is folks trying to portray the old used 700 MLS/ML as the new ultimate like is frequently seen on online auction/sales sites. I get folks (newbies) on the phone all the time saying they were duped...

my .02 USD

I think I would get frustrated having to maintain a good stock of any sort of consumable rifle primer adapter.

I just received an email today from muzzle-loaders.com and checked out the Remington UML, which I bought about seven years ago and converted it to a smokeless model. They are now being sold for almost twice what I paid new seven years ago. I don't know if that is inflation, price gouging, demand, etc. I doubt Remington is making it better, it was pretty well-made I thought when they came out originally. What are your thoughts? Below is a link:

WOW, that Pricing is Crazy 😟. I got a New Laminate Version for $579 from GRABAGUN. It was Instantly changed to the ASG Ignition System.

Latest posts

Back