First Muzzleloader On It's Way

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azjogol

Reaction score
So I finally purchased my first loader and am actually quite excited about it. After many years of applying for various elk hunts here in Az (rifle, archery, and ML), I finally got drawn for elk this december in my back yard, for muzzleloader cow elk. My hunting buddy has a couple loaders, but after discussing it with the wife, we decided we should have our own. Mostly because if anything were to happen to it while using it, I would feel pretty bad. So with the wifes blessing, actually demand that I buy a rifle, I ended up purchasing a CVA Accura V2 LR 50 cal.. I read a bunch of reviews and decided on this one, despite my wifes preference to the Remington 700 Ultimate.

From my experience guiding with the Hunts for Heros program this past October, we were able to put our hunters on some bulls, no shot being more than 70 yards. Saw tons of cows, all less than 50 yards. So I'm hoping I chose a decent rifle for 100 or less yard shots. The rifle does come with a Konus scope, but if I see any issues with the glass, I will just top it off with one of my Vipers or Leupolds.

So any advice, good, bad, or other is more than welcome. I did read that some guys will shoot a cap or two before loading their rifle. Is this a common practice for ML's?

TIA

First of all welcome to the sport. You might have to get more than one, but take your time.
Yes, to firing off at least one cap prior to loading, it tells you the breech channel is clear and drys up any left oils/cleaning liquids that may remain. I swab with alcohol prior to shooting off a cap to remove any storage oils an alcohol drys rapidly too.

I bought a CVA Optima V2 nitride rifle package back couple years ago, 1:28 twist like yours but not the LR version. My gun likes 90gr of BH209 and a W209 primer with .300gr .452 XTP/black crushrib sabot. Supper accurate load which put two deer in the freezer this past season. I have had no issues with the Konus scope on my rifle to date. I will use this rifle to hunt in rainy weather an late ML season. (I hate getting my White rifle laminate stocks wet.)

I believe you bought a great gun! Have fun and enjoy!

Welcome and congrats on the new gun. I also have a V2 Optima that shoots great with about anything I put in it. The load I really like is 100 grns BH, 300 grn Thor and Federal 209A primer. This I would think to be a good elk load. Tuff all copper full bore bullet.

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to tapping into the knowledge base here so I can be successful in my adventures.

It seems the general consensus is BH powders are a favorite to feed the rifles. I'll be picking some up with a couple different bullet weights and heading to the range to see what combination works best.

Appreciate all the input.

Yes, the first shot after cleaning, and before loading, I pop a cap without a charge. I put a clean, dry patch on the cleaning jag, insert it all the way down the barrel, and leave it there, rod and all, when I fire the cap. Like toytruck alluded to, the idea is to make sure I didn't leave excessive oil which could block the spark from getting through the nipple. A scorch mark on the clean patch tells me I'm good to go.
On rare occasion, I've forgotten to do that and the charge didn't fire. In that case, I have a straightened paperclip to poke through and clear the nipple. I mean, that's what I've heard people do, who might have that problem. Not me. No. Not me.

Congrats on the new rifle, it should be a good shooter for you.

What’s a legal load combo in Az? It’s hard to beat BlackHorn 209 powder and a big Barnes copper bullet if legal in your state.

Before I load my Muzzleloaders for hunting or a range session, I run a dry patch to remove excess oil, then a damp alcohol patch followed by another dry patch. I then fire 3 primers to clear/foul the bore.

I'll offer my congrats on a fine weapon too. Best of luck on your elk hunt. Now, to make sure things work out right I'll suggest that you load the gun with a full charge but before you fire that first round, slide the rod back down the barrel and make a mark on it flush with the barrel's end. This is called a "witness mark" and its put there so you'll know whether there is already a load in the barrel. Get in the habit of finding this mark while the rod is still in the barrel and before you prime the gun. Lots of avoidable yet accidental double charges have resulted in serious issues. If the witness mark shows at or very near the end of the barrel after you load, you're good to go. That little mark just help keep you safe.

Enjoy the smoker, it probably won't be your last.

Great info, guys.

Not sure there are any restrictions on loads/bullet types here in AZ, but I will be checking to make sure. Would hate to drop an animal, only to have game and fish roll up (like they seem to always do whenever I shoot), have them check things out and inform me I harvested in an illegal manner. Then off they go with my meat.

With the weather finally calming down up here where I live, and the new boom stick scheduled to be delivered today, I will be heading out to get to know it and sight it in. Really looking forward to sending puffs of smoke into the atmosphere.

I've heard it is a good idea to clean the bore after 2-3 shots with Windex with ammonia? I ask for when I am finding the right combo of load at the range.

Thanks again!!

Clean it good BEFORE you shoot it, using a good solvent to wipe out any storage oils from the factory. Then use an alcohol patch front/back to wipe it again then a dry patch, load an shoot. If you don't do this first step you could be baking storage oil onto the bore which will be a pain to remove.
I did this to my Optima V2 and there were no storage oils, but just in case, and it won't hurt anything.

Re: RE: First Muzzleloader On It's Way

azjogol said:
So I finally purchased my first loader and am actually quite excited about it. After many years of applying for various elk hunts here in Az (rifle, archery, and ML), I finally got drawn for elk this december in my back yard, for muzzleloader cow elk. My hunting buddy has a couple loaders, but after discussing it with the wife, we decided we should have our own. Mostly because if anything were to happen to it while using it, I would feel pretty bad. So with the wifes blessing, actually demand that I buy a rifle, I ended up purchasing a CVA Accura V2 LR 50 cal.. I read a bunch of reviews and decided on this one, despite my wifes preference to the Remington 700 Ultimate.

From my experience guiding with the Hunts for Heros program this past October, we were able to put our hunters on some bulls, no shot being more than 70 yards. Saw tons of cows, all less than 50 yards. So I'm hoping I chose a decent rifle for 100 or less yard shots. The rifle does come with a Konus scope, but if I see any issues with the glass, I will just top it off with one of my Vipers or Leupolds.

So any advice, good, bad, or other is more than welcome. I did read that some guys will shoot a cap or two before loading their rifle. Is this a common practice for ML's?

TIA
I have the same rifle and I love it super accurate and easy to maintain. I shoot 90 grs bh209 under a federal bore lok 250 gr copper great load !

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Back