Remington Ultimate scope?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiner200gr

Reaction score
Just got my RUM and started shooting last week. I have 2 ml scopes, a Leupold 3-9 with the ml reticle, and a Burris 3-9 also with the ml reticle. Using Remington's suggested 300 yard load of 4 50 gr Pyrodex pellets and their 250 gr. green saboted bullet, the trajectory does not coincide with the reticle yardage graduations on either scope....not even close.
My question is: has anyone found a scope that does line up, or am I stuck with a "somewhere along the vertical" hold?

Adjust the power of the scope to match the load.

All I know about Nightforce suggests a shortage of eye relief when 200 grains is involved. This ain't no .45 lol.

All I know about Nightforce suggests a shortage of eye relief when 200 grains is involved. This ain't no .45 lol.
I've shot over 4 CASES of pellets through the RUM's daddy, the BP Xpress..... yearly. Not much about them I don't know :)

The RUM and UF rifles love to EAT SCOPES, especially if you shoot often. If you only shoot it a few times each year, then its still only a matter of time. And yes, there will always be that odd ball that puts a 2-10 Tasco on his rifle and the darn thing will last for years. LOL

I say learn to dial, because the RUM/UF rifles shooting pellets are so damn inconsistent. Even Leupold's CDS turrets can screw up from day to day. Lot number changes in pellets can throw a wrench in the works too.

Best thing you could do............ Replace that OEM breech plug with the Arrowhead system, then stop shooting pellets and start shooting BH209. As for the scopes, just my 2¢, create your own range card to match your dots. Better yet, dial.

I learned to dial a scope around '63, so I think I can manage that part. I don't know if you hunt, but where I hunt whitetails they tend to get impatient when being hunted so screwing around scope turrets, even for a few seconds can make for an empty freezer. I shot NBRSA Hunter class for many years and had only one Leupold go bad, and my 2-7 held up on a nasty recoiling .375 H&H 700 guide model so not worried about that aspect either.
I had a CVA Accura with a little Nikon 3-9 with a 300 BDC reticle that was a perfect match, so I'm spoiled I guess. It also had a trigger that put the Ultimate's trigger to shame. I turned that Ultimate's trigger adjustment screw out so far it cut my finger on recoil and it still pulled at 4 pounds.
Beginning to wonder if I made a $1,000 mistake.

Yes I hunt. I've taken well over 400 whitetail in North America.
All it needs is a few modifications, especially that breech plug and ignition system. Its outdated along with the pis poor brass primer carriers.
Take that XMark Pro trigger out and replace it with a great trigger, such as a Jewell or IMO better yet, a Trigger Tech Diamond. Even a Timney beats the heck out of that XMark Pro trigger.
As Fishhawk will also tell you, get the Arrowhead breech plug system, which is the best thing you'll ever do for the rifle.

These muzzleloaders are much different than CF rifles. Cheap mounts end up like this LOL

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

Wow 400+ whitetail! If you only hunted here in Washington, that would make you fairly ripe at this point....having celebrated Thanksgiving with the Indians lol.
I appreciate your input. I ordered a Timney for it a week ago. I am used to Jewel triggers, and have one on my 40X, but felt it was overkill on a beast such as this. Is there a problem shooting 150 grains of BH209 with the stock breech?

Wow 400+ whitetail! If you only hunted here in Washington, that would make you fairly ripe at this point....having celebrated Thanksgiving with the Indians lol.
I appreciate your input. I ordered a Timney for it a week ago. I am used to Jewel triggers, and have one on my 40X, but felt it was overkill on a beast such as this. Is there a problem shooting 150 grains of BH209 with the stock breech?
You can shoot 150grs VOLUME with the OEM breech plug but............ you're going to gas cut the nipple and it not a matter of if, but when. You can also have problems with instant ignition with slight hang fires because of the length of flame travel through the OEM 2-piece breech plug.
Remington does not approve of shooting BH in the RUM. Owners started doing it after a "writer" tried it and said it worked perfectly. Then Remington decided to say that it was "OK", that is until they started replacing breech plugs one right after the other under warrantee. They then decided that they would no longer warrant their rifles if it was known BH was shot in it.
When one goes, it just goes and you're done. Hopefully not when practicing just prior to hunting season.

The head space is determined by the thickness of the head on the brass case, not the OAL of the case. Problem is, those cases can vary in head thickness up to .020". You can't get a perfect seal and gas will escape, eventually cutting the nipple. BH causes this problem much quicker than other propellants.

This is a gas cut breech plug nipple.

Gas cut breech plug.jpg

You can shoot 150grs VOLUME with the OEM breech plug but............ you're going to gas cut the nipple and it not a matter of if, but when. You can also have problems with instant ignition with slight hang fires because of the length of flame travel through the OEM 2-piece breech plug.
Remington does not approve of shooting BH in the RUM. Owners started doing it after a "writer" tried it and said it worked perfectly. Then Remington decided to say that it was "OK", that is until they started replacing breech plugs one right after the other under warrantee. They then decided that they would no longer warrant their rifles if it was known BH was shot in it.
When one goes, it just goes and you're done. Hopefully not when practicing just prior to hunting season.

The head space is determined by the thickness of the head on the brass case, not the OAL of the case. Problem is, those cases can vary in head thickness up to .020". You can't get a perfect seal and gas will escape, eventually cutting the nipple. BH causes this problem much quicker than other propellants.

This is a gas cut breech plug nipple.

View attachment 11021
Everything that you have said has been the exact same experience that I have had with my UML. I’ve ended up going with a Nightforce scope and a gen 2 breech plug to solve those issues.

Thanks to both of you. I'll stay away from granulated powder altogether as the Pyrodex pellets have at least caused no problems (except I have to clean the damn thing before I leave the range to avoid being divorced).
Now it's projectiles....recommendations? I have not tried to shoot groups yet, but the Remington 250's seem to shoot fairly true to scope adjustments. I have numerous bullets here to try, but maybe you guys could save me some time and shoulder wear?

Order of 10 on the way. I liked the whole idea behind them. Thanks again.

Yes GSSP. My special hiding spot has traditionally offered up shots 180-220 yards, so I always want a 200 yard zero certain. Then 100 and 300 are secondary, but my goal is to have those on as well, above and below the 200. What I have accomplished so far is a high 100 and a low 300 impact when the 200 is zero'd.

Mine has been converted to a 308 smokeless & wears a Sightron S-TAC 4-20X50
It will take the torture.

Greg

Latest posts

Back