Remington700ml 26" stainless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have an opportunity to buy a Brand new in the box Remington 700ml.Many report says it a tack driver gun.
But I read on the web that all parts are no mor available from Remington, and obsolete.I checked at Cabellas for a Cabellass 209 convertion spring kit fot the bolt but the also they are obsolete.
Would it be a good buy or should I wait for the new Knight disc Ultimate????
Taureau noir

taureau noir

I have a couple of these guns and it is my feeling that they are very good guns. They are durable and strong, the barrel is the same materail as a center-fire stainless. The breechplug is easy to work with and they seem to shoot anythig i out down the bore very well.

The biggest flaw of Remington going by todays standard is the design of the bolt - it allows blow back back into the internal portions of the bolt so the bolt must be taken apart and leaned - a fairly simple task. Another possible problem is the hammer spring is a bit weak and after a perios of time will not strike caps strong enough to set them off - it will still fire a 209 effectively. Wolf makes replacement springs that are much better than the original Remington. The other design problem is the Remington 209 system - it is dirty and often the spent primer must be picked out of the nipple. A Canadian company in Quebec made what most of us call the Cabelas 209 conversion - it is an excellent conversion, includes a new hammer, a stronger hammer spring and new nipple - with the tools necessary to complet the conversion. It is no longer available from Cabelas but it is availble from a Canadian company. This conversion will allow you to shoot BH also but it does have some blow back.

http://armurierlavaltrie.ecrater.com/

Parts... while certainly a concern - there really is not much to go wrong - it is a pretty simple gun

But all of that said it is the older generation and new technologies have made the modern ML much more user friendly...

As much as i like my Rem 700's I would have to take a very serious look at the new Knight coming out even though in reality it is still a bit of old world technolgy but much cleaner in the bolt area and parts are/will be available - then the U-slam will be a spendy ML. Weight of the gun(s) between the new BP Savage and the U-slam would be a big detrimning factor for me.

Thank Sabotloader for the info.As far as cleaning, I had many brand of ml from hawken and tradition E-Bolt 209, toknight original disc to exteme and Elite.But hearth surgery and ACV had a toll on my finances.Had to sell them, but now I want to buy a Ml again.
Taureau noir

Taureau noir, i would not want to tell you which gun to get.But instead i would tell you to get the one you yourself likes the best.I have a 50 cal REM 700 ML Stanless with a 24" barrel.
I also have a Knight Magnum disc 50 cal with a 26" Barrel.I nerver though that i'd see the day that i would own another Muzzleloader that i like as much are shot as good as my Knight,until i ran across this Rem 700ML.
Now i am like a man with 2 wives.
I just don't know which one to love on the most.They Both shoot so good and feel so good.
Best thing i can tell aman in this kind of Fix,is to try for both,LOL

No, really get the one you like the best,they both will be great

Thank Swamfox.
I have an offer for a Knight Elite new in thr box bur Black composite with blue barrel but would prefer a Knight dis Extreme because prefer with opensight,while the ?lite require an extra 300.00 for rig ,base and scope.
Taureau noir

Lane, The Remington is a .50 just like My Knight ml.
Like you said you have to dissemble the bolt fto clean it often or you will get Hang-fire.
God Bless
Taureau noir

taureau noir, while you do have to keep the bolt clean and you have to dissemble it to clean it right.It is no big Deal.I had a Bad Stroke in 2004 that left my left arm and hand all screw/bum up from it, and it is no big deal to me
taureau noir said:
Lane, The Remington is a .50 just like My Knight ml.
Like you said you have to dissemble the bolt fto clean it often or you will get Hang-fire.
God Bless
Taureau noir

I undertands Lane but never had blowback with a Knight.I'm a Knight fanatic, and try to figure what would be the best buy.Here in Canada Ml price are not cheap.
A remingtons Mls , Discontinued since 2004 call for $450.00
A brand new in the box Knight Elite extreme with black/blue barrell I can get one for $300.00 but have to add $300.00 for scope ring and base.
Taureau noir

Latest posts

Back