Renzo Deer Decoy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucker

Reaction score
used the doe decoy this weekend. I was very impressed w/ it's deer drawing capabilities and ease of use. I put a white face cloth torn in half and daubbed w/ doe urine. super easy to set up. The rut is on in PA. The wind was blowing right to left and I set it on a rise in the feld head towards a bush. Both tree lines about 150 yards apart had broadside views of the decoy. I had 4-5 bucks get up on her and hang up about 30 yards from the decoy. The biggest was a 10 point, probably the biggest deer of my life. he came across the feil about 200 yards away into the wind w/ his nose high i the air. He did a lot of prancing and looking, but i could n't get him closer. I shot and missed out of my tree stand. Man what a bummer! But I learned to move her real close in on me, or move her past me up wind as they hang up w/ that 2-d look, they know something isn't right when they get in real close. No deer busted me all eyes and nose on decoy. The metal rods allow you to have her sway w/ the wind and of course the rag moving like a tail really did the trick. No does only bucks. If this does as well in gun season, I will take no prisoners.

Thats why I don't use the Renzo's during bow season. MOST of them usually hang up like you said. One thing that does work better is using two or three of them.
It sounds stupid, but I set them in a triangle, touching head to butt. It looks weird to us from up in a tree, but if you think about it, if you look at it from the deer's perspective, all they see is one. I set them up so no matter which way a deer comes in on them, at least one of them will be broadside. By the time they realize it , it's too late. I use a full size decoy for bow season, and nothing but the renzo for gun. Just be carefull not to use them too much, if they get educated on the decoy you will have a hard time with it during the gun season. Unless you get a wandering buck from another area that is ! 8)

Latest posts

Back