Replacement Barrel question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhnut1973

Reaction score
I’ve been looking around for a slow twist .54 drop-in barrel for my Renegade and all I have found is 15/16” barrels. As you know Renegades typically use 1” barrels. That’s only a 1/16” difference, but that could have a big impact on performance. Can I use the 15/16” barrel on my Renegades or would I need to get a Hawken to use that barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try and reach out to Idaho Lewis he would know the answer to that.

With enough fidgeting it can be done but, in my opinion you’d be better off to either keep lookin’ for a 1 inch barrel or get a Hawken stock. A mere 1/16th(1/32 each side) don’t soundd like much but, you’d hafta use a Hawken tang or do considerable filin’ to match to the top flat of the Renegade tang. May take bendin’ of the hammer to line up with the nipple. You’d hafta shim or bed the barrel channel to get a good solid fit. And that 1/32 on the bottom can possibly lead to problems with the wedge.

bubba.50 said:
With enough fidgeting it can be done but, in my opinion you’d be better off to either keep lookin’ for a 1 inch barrel or get a Hawken stock. A mere 1/16th(1/32 each side) don’t soundd like much but, you’d hafta use a Hawken tang or do considerable filin’ to match to the top flat of the Renegade tang. May take bendin’ of the hammer to line up with the nipple. You’d hafta shim or bed the barrel channel to get a good solid fit. And that 1/32 on the bottom can possibly lead to problems with the wedge.

This is kinda what I was thinking. I thought there was a chance it would work, but I also figured that 1/16” could cause major issues. I guess I’ll keep looking or maybe just get a Hawken later on. Thanks.

I just finished having a .50 cal renegade done. The barrel was a green Mt LRH. It was not just a drop in. Some metal had to be removed otherwise I’d have done it myself. Gunsmith was able to fit it he said with not much issue. Gun drives tacks now. My initial feelings were that I should’ve bought a Hawken stock for it but now I’m fine with it.

The Confusing part for most is the 2 different Barrel Diameters, Green Mountain made 15/16” and 1” Drop in Barrels For the TC Hawken and Renegade. A guy REALLY needs to know What he Has! If you own a TC Renegade you have a 1” Barrel, as TC did not Make their Renegade in a 15/16” at least that i am aware of. If You own a TC Hawken in .50 Cal you will have a 15/16” barrel, But if your TC Hawken is a .54 Cal it will be a 1” Barrel

Willfish4fud said:
I just finished having a .50 cal renegade done. The barrel was a green Mt LRH. It was not just a drop in. Some metal had to be removed otherwise I’d have done it myself. Gunsmith was able to fit it he said with not much issue. Gun drives tacks now. My initial feelings were that I should’ve bought a Hawken stock for it but now I’m fine with it.

Yeah I figure a competent gunsmith could fit it for me, but I’ve been wanting a T/C Hawken to go with my Renegades anyway. Seems like a good excuse to pick one up.

Latest posts

Back