Replacement flintlock Lock available for Traditions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wganz

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Would like to get a Traditions flintlock Lock to do a percussion to flintlock conversion on their Blunderbuss kit. 
Searched with google but only found various parts. Was pointed in another forum to L&R Lock Company which lists a replacement lock but the plate is a tad different:
01%20rpl.jpg

Not insurmountable to a redneck with a pocket knife and some JB Weld.

Is there a source of actual Traditions locks?

Regards,

I'd have to see some measurements, buts I am pretty certain those locks will be to small for the factory inletting.

Traditions will sell you a lock, but their prices are ridiculous.

Nope, this whole idea is now a FAIL!

got an email back from the L&R Lock company 

L&R Lock Company said:
Hello wganz

The Traditions Kentucky rifle takes the RPL 01. It just has a round back instead of the point, you can file off the point on the RPL or inlet into the stock. Traditions and CVA used the same lock some with a point, some rounded.

Thank You
Office Hours: 7am-12pm and 1pm-4pm Monday-Thursday 
Address: 2328 Cains Mill Rd
             Sumter,SC 29154

Putting a $185 replacement lock on a $309 kit gives $494 starting costs which fails a reality check for something that cannot be used in either competition or hunting. What I was thinking about doing with that kit was a 'coaching gun' by trimming the barrel where it started to flare, putting a brass turtle front sight on it, and doing the percussion to flintlock conversion. But not at that cost. Nope

And short 'coaching' guns did exist back then.  click link and do a Ctl-F for 'coaching'

I believe the flare on the blunderbuss is actually a screwed on funnel section. Take a good look at it and you will see the line where  the 2 meet up.

I to been looking at the blunderbuss, but as a shotgun lol.

Back