Rethreading bolster.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In an effort to keep supplies minimal, I am wondering if it's possible to safely re-tap my Plains Rifle's bolster for a 1/4 x28 nipple so I dont have to keep 2 sizes on hand. My Black Diamond and my daughter's ( modified 209 plug) Traditions Tracker, both use 1/4x28's. Anybody out there do such a thing?

Nobody is replying to your question because all of our bolster screws have been frozen shut for years... lol :p

We are kinda' jealous that yours are still open for business. 8)

If it is a 6mm thread already it won't work because the 1/4 28 is only about .015 bigger in diameter not enough meat to dig into.

junkman said:
If it is a 6mm thread already it won't work because the 1/4 28 is only about .015 bigger in diameter not enough meat to dig into.
I would agree. Metric; M6 x .75 thread pitch converts to = 0.236" x 33.8 tpi. With metric, subtract the 0.75mm from the 6mm for the tap drill size = 5.25mm or = 0.206", that is slightly smaller than the tap drill for a 1/4-28 which is a #3 @ 0.213". With either, you have less than 1/4" long thread on the nipple = 4-5 total threads.
You'll be cross threading the same threads with a more course pitch thread - there will not be much 'meat' left as junkman indicated.

Back