Retrofit cartridge to inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogfood

Reaction score
Hi all,
First post here so please bear with me if t geg any of the board culture/etiquette wrong.
I've seen it done once- an old BP cartridge gun made into an inline- but have any of you every retrofitted a single short cartridge rifle to be a muzzleloader, or otherwise know the process? I'm looking for a project and would love to get my hands on an already sporterized, old school single shot if it can be done without costing too much- that is to say more than the cost of the would-be inline itself, a few hundred bucks.
Your knowledge is much appreciated.
Cheers,
Ken

Although I've never seen one, conversion kits for shotguns are available.
Some single shot rifles have muzzleloader barrels you can swap out.
Welcome and good luck with your project.

These two aren’t old rifles but the cartridge they use to fire has been around for a while.

I had two single shot 45-70 Gov’t Apex rifles converted to muzzleloaders. Cost to convert was $325 a piece. Check out the smokeless section for more info. on them.

yjVVJXr.jpg

Last edited:
Deermanok,
Thanks for replying. A chamber insert that effectively becomes breech plug would be optimal.
Maybe there's a way to mull one of them down the the specs of whatever the particular rifle is. I imagine something that would take a straight walled cartridge is a better bet than anything that's necked down, though that's just an assumption.

BuckDoeHunter,
Oh sweet! I will check them out immediately. Thanks for the tip.
I really like the idea of being able to get use out of something that would otherwise just be a wall hanger due to scarcity of ammo/expense of handloading super obscure cartridges (and being able to use during muzzleloader season).

Virtually any break action 45/70 can be converted into a 45cal ML. Land and groove sizes are more or less identical. roughly .450x.458 plus/minus .001ish. There are no suitable 50cal options however in modern cartridges. The chamber is either too large or the land/groove is way too small. You could do it with something like 500S&W but you wont be shooting sabots.

ATM the cheapest way is a CVA Hunter 45/70 and send the rifle off to Center Punch USA for the breach plug install. That should be under $500 total in 209 primer.

Virtually any break action 45/70 can be converted into a 45cal ML. Land and groove sizes are more or less identical. roughly .450x.458 plus/minus .001ish. There are no suitable 50cal options however in modern cartridges. The chamber is either too large or the land/groove is way too small. You could do it with something like 500S&W but you wont be shooting sabots.

ATM the cheapest way is a CVA Hunter 45/70 and send the rifle off to Center Punch USA for the breach plug install. That should be under $500 total in 209 primer.

I appreciate your reply. I'm picking up a Swedish Remington rolling block. It's chambered in 12.7x44R, just a bit smaller than a .50-70govt in all dimensions other than overall length from what I've read.
The going rate for a CVA .45-70 seems to be $250-300, so making the breech plug job about $250 itself. Does that sound about right to you?
There's just something that really appeals to me about modern muzzleloaders. For lack of better phrasing, it's like taking a peek into a alternate reality where cased ammunition never got invented.

Back