Revolutionary War Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDBOB

Reaction score
A friend of my wife's husband died and she says that she wants to sell a pistol from the Revlutionary War that her husband had. She only wants to talk to a serious buyer. She says that she has all of the information about the pistol including the serial number. My question to all of you is this. Did these early guns have serial numbers, or do you think that this is a replica? If anyone is really interested in buying this pistol I will pass on your info to her so that she can get in touch with you.

Yes some of the early gun did have numbers , only way to know if it is really old is to inspect it as there were diffirences between the originals and the copies.

I never heard of Rev War guns having serial numbers. British weapons, notably the Bess, had unit numbers stamped on the wrist plate. You never got the same musket or gun twice. Unless you were on the march, your gun was turned in to the armorer in camp, cleaned, and stored until needed.

I've been getting more information from this little old lady. It seems that the gun is an 1851 Colt Navy Revolver 4th model. I trying to get a picture. I wrote her an email about what to look for on the gun - matching serial numbers on all of the parts, engraving on the cylinder, bluing etc. Even a gun in poor condition is going for $1600, so if she has anything decent it could be worth a lot of money. Her husband bought it as an investment. I'm waiting for more from her.

Latest posts

Back