Rifle most suited to BH209,your opinion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee 9

Reaction score
There are several things we might consider besides the ignition, like how much blow back you get because even if its not corrosive we end up cleaning it out. I am not sure how deeply accuracy enters into it as every thing I have tried it in has had a number of very accurate loads my average group is quite a bit smaller than with any other sub or black.
Your thoughts on the matter Please. Lee

Triumph

I vote for what I bought, a T/C Triumph .50 cal. At least for the great buy I think I got on it at Dick's Sporting Goods earlier this year. Is it the best--I seriously doubt it--that would probably go to the Savage or one of the Knights or a T/C Encore or perhaps some of the others. How it compares to them I really can't say since I've never owned or shot one.

Mine shoots right around MOA so far with a variety of bullets. It's light weight and so far has proven very dependable. I will say, though, that I sent mine back to T/C because it was EXTREMELY difficult to get even their own Shockwave sabots (even the Easy-Glides) down the barrel.

They promptly lapped the barrel and sent it back to me and it is now much easier to load. I haven't been to the range with it yet, so I hope it still shoots as good as it did.

I also took my first animal with a muzzleloader with it just before sending it back--a wild pig. One shot with a 250 grain T/C Shockwave in a MMP 3-Petal EZ sabot with 110 grains of T7 FFFg blew right through the pig on a broadside shot through the lungs.

I love the Speed Breach XT. Makes cleaning the gun very easy. While I love my .50 cal Hawken, the Triumph is going to be the one I hunt with, when I use a muzzleloader.

Now if I could just find someone local that carrys Blackhorn 209!!!

I like the Speed Breach Plug to, it took a little getting used to but it seal better than I would have believed and no blow back I wonder how many inline muzzleloaders on the market have no blowback at all. Lee

My VERY limited experience with said powder would lead me to believe that the Elite with the NFPJ conversion is the balls.

It always was with T7 and has just gotten better with BH.

BTW, today alone, I shot 2 Knights, one TC, and a Savage. Passed the time inbetween bbl cooling by putting a few hundred rounds through our MKIII and S&W .22 pistols. Man, what a day....

My ENCORE loved the BH 209 powder , no hand fires , no more muzzle-loader primers no need for a . 25 conversion ( not convinced that i ever did need one ). :roll: Just load the sucker with powder , winchester primers , snug sabot and shoot , shoot , shoot . I am really pumped about this new powder and how much simpler shoot my muzzle loader has become . :D

UtahRob
I cant find a TC that dont like BH the Omega and the Triumph actually shoot better tighter groups with it, they still like the same bullets and mostly the same sabots{ I lapped the Triumph so it uses a bit thicker one now} all the closed action TC that use a 209 seem to shoot noticably better. I guess my vote is for the Triumph I favor it any way since I redone the stock to fit me better. and the sucked in little one hole groups make me want to just keep shooting.

Lee 9 said:
UtahRob
I cant find a TC that dont like BH the Omega and the Triumph actually shoot better tighter groups with it, they still like the same bullets and mostly the same sabots{ I lapped the Triumph so it uses a bit thicker one now} all the closed action TC that use a 209 seem to shoot noticably better. I guess my vote is for the Triumph I favor it any way since I redone the stock to fit me better. and the sucked in little one hole groups make me want to just keep shooting.

Can't go wrong with any TC . I also lapped my Encore and my sons Omega . I also lapped my Traditions Pursuit pro , it was a nail driver . He has not tried the BH in his Omega yet , but i am sure it will work fine . Just put a 1x Sightron scope on my Encore , can't wait to see how she shoots .

UtahRob said:
My ENCORE loved the BH 209 powder , no hand fires , no more muzzle-loader primers no need for a . 25 conversion ( not convinced that i ever did need one ). :roll: Just load the sucker with powder , winchester primers , snug sabot and shoot , shoot , shoot . I am really pumped about this new powder and how much simpler shoot my muzzle loader has become . :D

That's about it for me also. Load and shoot...then shoot some more. My Pro Hunter is a B209 gun period! Never fed it anything else and won't. I have other guns for other powders to use. This is also the most accurate rifle I own (which is hard to figure).

old/new said:
UtahRob said:
My ENCORE loved the BH 209 powder , no hand fires , no more muzzle-loader primers no need for a . 25 conversion ( not convinced that i ever did need one ). :roll: Just load the sucker with powder , Winchester primers , snug sabot and shoot , shoot , shoot . I am really pumped about this new powder and how much simpler shoot my muzzle loader has become . :D

That's about it for me also. Load and shoot...then shoot some more. My Pro Hunter is a B209 gun period! Never fed it anything else and won't. I have other guns for other powders to use. This is also the most accurate rifle I own (which is hard to figure).

I hear ya !!!
My traditions pursuit pro ( that i sold )and my Encore are the most accurate rifles i have ever owned . These are the shots that i got with my Traditions and my Encore using a gun vise , These are only 50 yard shots with open sights . Need a scope now , my eyes have gone south on me since i shot these groups . :oops: :roll: :roll: Nothing better than hunting with a gun that shoots RIGHT on the money .

Encore

DSCN0019-1.jpg

Traditions pursuit pro

4shot65yrds.jpg

I shot this VERY small buck with my Traditions as he was looking at me at around 70 yards , i put the red dot on his neck . The bullet took out his spine . All i could see was his neck and head . But i new that my bullet would go exactly where the red dot was .

firstmuzzleloaderdeer.jpg

Back