Rifle stock tools

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
Hi all. What are the minimum tools needed to finish a butt stock and forearm for an Underhammer kit from Pecatonica Rifle. My understanding is that the forearm is already inletted for the barrel. I've included a picture, not the best, but might give you an idea of what wood work will be needed

Attachments

• Underhammer3x262.jpg
    Underhammer3x262.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1
Minimum is sand paper and a drill. Files will make it better. Power tools if you have them.
That is a good kit and is fairly easy to finish except for the steel Buttplate. That will require inletting chisels. Or you can do like I did and cut an inch off and install a rubber sissy pad!😂

Minimum is sand paper and a drill. Files will make it better. Power tools if you have them.
That is a good kit and is fairly easy to finish except for the steel Buttplate. That will require inletting chisels. Or you can do like I did and cut an inch off and install a rubber sissy pad!😂
Thanks for the info. No sissy pad. I want to keep it as traditional as possible. I had someone else give me this list of tools.
mill bastard file
a simi coarse half round file
a triangle file (small) a round file (not tapered)
sandpaper- 100, 120 and 220 grit, (I like the aluminum oxide
some scrapers and fine and semi fine steel wool.

Hi again. If I just buy some inletting chisels how many would I need and what sizes?

Thanks for the info. No sissy pad. I want to keep it as traditional as possible. I had someone else give me this list of tools.
mill bastard file
a simi coarse half round file
a triangle file (small) a round file (not tapered)
sandpaper- 100, 120 and 220 grit, (I like the aluminum oxide
some scrapers and fine and semi fine steel wool.
Me again. Would these be a decent set of chisels to get? found them on ebay

Attachments

• chissles.jpg
    chissles.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back