Rio Grande - Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been out of the game for a while. I had a few Toms to shoot, spring yard work and some Kid stuff which was a blessing. Anyway, things have settled down and I had a day for the range. With nothing more that fun as a goal, I chose the Ft. Worth Arms Rio Gande as my weapon of choice. I'm told the compny was started by a former emplyee of the White MZ. I picked up the gun at a Pawn Shop in Omaha for a song a few years back. It had never been fired.

It has a unique action but quality component including a B & C Stock, a Bold Trigger and I believe the same barrel used in Whites ( Not sure who made it, anyone know? ).

So the Range Report:

I brought some 300 Gtain XTPs more to foul the barrel than anything. However, they shot well right ftrom the get go. Heres the first tartget at 50 with the XTPs and some .504 Bull Shops

Feeling pretty good about that I moved to 100. We had a 10-15 MPH wind from left to right. I'll call it a factor.

On the left we have the Bull Shops, on the right I went up to 80 of th T7 3F and had a decent 5 shot group with 460 No excuses.

Finally, I concluded with a 3 shot group of the 300 XTPs. I could hunt with any of these loads. I'm very fond of the gun as it handles the big loads with ease.

Nice! Ive never tried a sabot combo in my White. Didnt think it would even work with the .04 overbore. I may give that a go just for fun next time I drag it out. But It slings the lead so well, I doubt it would ever see much more than range use

That is a very nice looking rifle. And it looks like you had a good day on the range to boot. Them big conical bullets are my favorite.

Nice shooting and a nice rifle. Kinda makes you feel good when you take a new rifle out and it shoots everything good from the start. Good job.

More than likely a Wilson Barrel.

Does it have 6 lands and grooves? 1:24 twist? I remember the Rio Grande, but haven't owned one.

Back