Roll cap primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some of the plastic red caps, went pop and no bang. Also used the pop can caps with the German paper dots, nothing either. Used stock Pietta nipples that have a larger flash hole than Slixshots. Used loose BP and round balls in my Pietta 58 Remington. No issues using CCI 11 caps. My next experiment will be using the Primeall once it arrives on Tuesday.

Been thinking about trying these, thanks for the suggestion.
BB
Be careful while applying the toy cap on a loaded gun. I have had a couple of them go off with just thumb pressure while pushing them on the primer.

Got some of the plastic red caps, went pop and no bang. Also used the pop can caps with the German paper dots, nothing either. Used stock Pietta nipples that have a larger flash hole than Slixshots. Used loose BP and round balls in my Pietta 58 Remington. No issues using CCI 11 caps. My next experiment will be using the Primeall once it arrives on Tuesday.
Were you using a synthetic powder or real BP?
Real BP gives more reliable ignition with this toy cap.

There's a guy sharpshooter777or something that sells primer compound materials. I made some and loaded up my homemade caps. I got thin copper sheeting from hobby lobby I think it was, which works better in my opinion then The used soda cans material. My caps are louder and more potent then the cci number 11s. Think musket cap strength in a #11 size

There's a guy sharpshooter777or something that sells primer compound materials. I made some and loaded up my homemade caps. I got thin copper sheeting from hobby lobby I think it was, which works better in my opinion then The used soda cans material. My caps are louder and more potent then the cci number 11s. Think musket cap strength in a #11 size
Have a link?

So In terms of testing, I have done this. They work quite well for sidelocks. I would suggest keep your commercial caps for revolvers as the homemade aren't shaped perfect. The process is pretty straightforward and my caps are stronger then standard #11s. Not at dangerous levels or anything , but they are hotter. My home made BP is pretty good stuff too, but I'm not going to get into my process on here. Ball mill, and brass or lead balls (non sparking) There are some safety precautions to be sure. But google searches and some thinking will yield the information desired. There's no way I'm going to pay ridiculous prices for blackhorn. I am however a fan of triple 7 in my ruger old army

Latest posts

Back