Rolling Block or Omega?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
Need a new inline. Thinking of sticking with an American made ML this time. Omega Z5 or Rolling Block? Which has the fewest problems out of the box? How hard is it to clean the RB? Both will have the synthetic stock. Which company makes the better (less flimsy) stock? Which rifle typically is more accurate? Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what that is. I use Goex or Pyrodex RS.

Blackhorn 209 is a new powder on the market that has been getting some excellent reviews OUT OF THE RIGHT RIFLE. Some rifles hangfire with it. The rolling block seems to be one of them.

If you shoot Pyrodex RS or Goex then either rifle will shoot and perform perfect for you. I do not own either of them so I can not comment on the cleaning aspect.

Both of them are going to be equally great shooters with the right projectile. I personally really like the idea of the rolling block. Maybe the idea of the action and the history of it appeals to me. I never cared much for the new style inlines. I shoot open breech designs for the most part, and while they take a few more minutes to clean, they are simple in design, sure in their actions, and seem to work perfect for my needs.

Since powder is not the issue, both will work fine for you. The rolling block over the Z5... I have to go with the Knight on this one.

JimG

The two brand of guns TC & Knight are IMO some of the best gun makers of Black powder Rifles their is . I have owned both the guns that you speak of and both good guns BUT I am a huge Knight Fan my self and wheather you are going to shoot reg. black powder or Pyrodex , 777 or the new BH 209 I would look at a Knight Disc Extreme these rifle are absulutly TOP OF THE LINE , super accurate handles and shoulders well cleanning is easy super non flemsy stock and shoots just about any bullet you stuff down the pipe very well from conicals to lite & heavy saboted bullets , and one even better would be a Knight Disc ELITE if you can find them as long as the state you live in allows scopes. as the disc elite dose not have rifled sights. Both companys have super Customer Service if you ever have a need for them also.

But befor you buy one find a place that has some of the guns that you are interessted in and go handle them to see what feels best to you!

And by the way Welcome to the forum it is great to have you here.

Ron

I have both. The Omega will not shoot conicals as well as the Rolling Block and the stock on the T/C is a lot less solid feeling than the Knight. The Knight will not shoot BH209 and the Omega will but will not shoot Tripple Seven. It will shoot Pyrodex and real black powder but the crud ring in my Omega with Tripple Seven is unbearable. The Knight will shoot Tripple Seven and all the synthetics except for the new BH209. I suspect that Knight will eventually fix that (appears to be a breechplug design problem for BH209) but at this time it is an issue. BH209 by the way is over $30 for only 10 ounces if that makes a difference to you. It is great powder but very expensive. If the cleaning is not a big problem for you and you do not have interest in the "almost smokeless" characteristics of BH209 I would go with the Knight KRB. It is also available at a lot lower price than the Omega for comparable levels. I bought the stainless black stock for $300 delivered from R&R Arms. My Stainless Omega was closer to $400. If hunting Colorado I would also recommend the KRB for conicals.

Well I am very fond of the new powder[ no wiping between shot accuracy is better than the older subs velocity is up a couple hundred fps a little higher price dont mean much to me] and to me a rifle that wont shoot any of the subs has a basic flaw in the design but I have the Omega and the Triumph both and while accuracy is equal I prefer the Triumph especally when wearing gloves while hunting as the trigger guard is better with gloves on and I dont need a capper to prime it. The Omega is an excellant shooter and I am sure Knight will fix their problem in time [ but I would wait till they did to buy one] so one of the main things is how it fits you [unless you are like me and fit the rifle to your self] also if you are a seasonal user and it is legal in your state you might want to consider the smokeless rifles , but since this new Black Horn 209 came out their advantage is considerably less. Also BH is designed for sabots so dont even take it into consideration if you prefer or must use those big heavy chuncks of lead. Lee

If you want to shoot conicals - buy the Knght and don't concern yourself with BH209.

I would go with the kRB. i have shot the omega z and it is a good shooting gun, but it does not have the feel of a solid gun like the KRB. You couldnt go wrong with either one, but even if they did cost the same i would go with the KRB for sure.

After reading this thread and many many other posts on this forum AND using the search function on other websites I've come to the conclusion that the KRB7 is the better of the two. At least for me. There are several features that I really like about the KRB7 that the Omega Z5 does not have or is not capable of. I'm sure the Omega is far superior to the import I was shooting (let's not go into that!) but I'll buy a Knight. Now I just need to decide between -

1. Black/Blue
2. Black/SS
3. All Camo (I'm guessing that the metal is carbon steel and not SS under that camo)
4. Camo stocks/SS metal

The black composite and blued metal version is by far the cheapest and I am on a budget but I do like SS. The camo clad model worries me as I'm worried about hidden corrosion under the clading.

choice

SS, Blacxk. Deer are color blind they can't tell if your camo is good or not. I think a lot of people going to the camo for a look, But that is JMO.

I agree with your choice... Sounds like a KRB is in your best interest.. I'd certainly entertain the idea of a SS/Camo one!

IMG_0038.JPG

The KRB is definately a good choice. I have one and love it. As for fit and finish, if money wasn't a problem, I really like the way the camo/ss looks.

If money is an issue, go to Sportsman's Warehouse and ask about it. They're clearancing them out and are really cheap. The black/ss is $270 and the black/blue is $220. You'll probably have to ask about it, and there's a good chance they'll have to order it from another store, but that won't cost you any extra. As of a week ago, there were still several in the system.

Back