Ruger 10/22 Set-Up opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
I've played around with mine a bit, I added a Midway barrel with brake, and added Volksquartsen trigger parts. The trigger is great, but I think I should get more accuracy from the barrel. I have probably one box of every type of 22lr ammo that's available and tried them all in the gun. Velocerators shot the best, with CCI Green Tag a close second. Those 2 even beat out Eley Tenex. (in my barrel)

If you're going to get serious abut accuracy, I'd do some research on what the guys who shoot matches are using. I could get the same accuracy with the factory barrel and CCI Blazer ammo if I sorted them by rim thickness.

I use the gun for hunting too, and don't like the barrel heavy feel. If I'd do it all over again, I would use one of the air gauged tensioned barrels.

What accuracy are you looking to achieve?

Another thing that will help is having the scope mounted to the barrel, not the receiver. Volksquartsen makes some nice receivers too..... 8)

Blue-Dot-37.5

VENISONEATR said:
I want to build a high grade target rifle out of my old 10/22. etc.?

Don't do it VENISONEATR :!: It will turn you into a 10-22 hot rod junky. :shock: It would be best to send that nasty old thing to me to save you all that grief. :wink:

Seriously, there is a lot of good info available about such a project at rimfirecentral.com.

Patrick, I should have known that they would be thumbhole stocks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I kinda like them too. :oops:

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
What accuracy are you looking to achieve?

I guess as good as I can shoot :wink:

I hate to sound so ignorant but if I get one of these Green Mtn. barrels is it as easy as unscrewing the barrel clamp and reattaching it with the new barrel in place?? Also on the Green Mountain site I see all different length barrels... what are the advantages and or disadvantages? Some are 1:16 twist some are 1:18 twist. Some for hyper velocity some just labeled LR.
Where do you start with this addictive hot rod 10/22 stuff???

JimA thanks for the link!!!

Patrick don't you like my fancy Fajen stock with all the nifty doo dads???
I have to admit this one is really nice!!!
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=698142

Hey Jim!
My Bro, Harry1, is a big 10/22 guy. He has a 10/22T that is all tricked out with all the Volquartsen goodies and such... I'll make sure he sees this post...

that would make a fantastic combo. I have a GM barrel on mine and it shoots 1/2" or so 10 shot groups at 50 yds. I did my homework on rimfirecentral, 1022.com, etc... Most say GM or Eabco barrels are the way to go.

Most of my internal parts are power custom or vq, I have a little of each.

If I did it again, I would do it with a .17hm2.. that would be a great combo!

btw... I only shoot WOLF Match/Target rounds.. for the $$$ they are very good rounds.

2353015b.jpg

Nice rig JJ!!! 18" barrel" 1:18" twist?? What custom parts?? Come on man how's about some specifics???

big6x6 said:
Hey Jim!
My Bro, Harry1, is a big 10/22 guy. He has a 10/22T that is all tricked out with all the Volquartsen goodies and such... I'll make sure he sees this post...

Thanks Chuck!!! I appreciate it.

VENISONEATR said:
Nice rig JJ!!! 18" barrel" 1:18" twist?? What custom parts?? Come on man how's about some specifics???

JJs probably too busy chewing and swallowing his wifes fine cookin to quickly respond! :shock: :lol:

barrel : Green Mountain 901523 Ruger 10/22 Barrels Stainless Fluted Barrel 20x920

twist?? 1:16 I believe.. not 100% sure

stock: pick what ya like.. Mine is a Fajen knock off from cabelas.

hammer: power custom

extended mag release: VQ

extractor: VQ titanium ( a must have... a premium extractor makes the gun! stove pipes SUCK)

seems I have done more.. but cant remember..

What I need now is a QUALITY high mag rimfire scope... I bet Chuck can recommend something good...

Nic Great link!!!! Some of those guys guns are incredible!!! I'll admit I'm apprehensive about a thumbhole stock... I'm worried I'll start sounding like Patrick :lol:

What I need now is a QUALITY high mag rimfire scope... I bet Chuck can recommend something good...

Of COURSE the best out there bar none is the VX-III 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target. I have three Vari-X III 6.5-20X40EFRs which is the predecessor to the VX-III. It's the best..period..

Other really good high powered RF scopes are the Bushnell 4200 6-24AO and the Weaver V-24. Both are great scopes but neither is quite what the Leupold is...

big6x6 said:
VENISONEATR said:

JJs probably too busy chewing and swallowing his wifes fine cookin to quickly respond! :shock: :lol:

You bet!!! Tonight was clam chowder and grilled cheese w/ bacon. :yeah:

Last night was Chicken Pot Pie...

VENISONEATR said:
I'll admit I'm apprehensive about a thumbhole stock... I'm worried I'll start sounding like Patrick :lol:

Give in to the dark side.

vader.jpg

STEP TWO INSTALL NEW BARREL

DSC01945Small.jpg

I went with a Green Mountain 18" stainless fluted barrel. It is drilled and tapped for a barrel scope mount. Installation was a piece of cake. Remove the 2 barrel clamp screws > push in the new barrel> re-install barrel clamp and screws.

DSC01943Small.jpg

Lateral view:

DSC01946Small.jpg

Alright Jimmy!!! What do you have planned next?

Stock, Hammer/sear, extractor, ?????? cant wait for your first range report!

better get a brick of WOLF M/T's while you still have a chance!!!

btw..... when you work on the trigger assy - make sure you have a few wooden toothpicks onhand so you can use them to hold your trigger assy. together when you slide it into the reciever. When you then slide your reciever pins through to hold your trigger assy together, the toothpicks will slide out the other side... saves some time and sanity.

Back