Ruger 77/50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris K

Reaction score
Dose anyone know much about the Ruger 77/50 Muzz? I have a chance to buy one for $300 never been shot still has the box with all the accesories. It was the 100th muzz ruger made. Last four of the serial # is 0100. I've always wanted one of the Rugers I just don't want to pay to much. I've already read about the ignition problems I can easily get a 209 converson kit for it. What do you think????

Kris K

It is not a bad gun at all.... but I am not sure I would put out $300 for even if it has not been shot.... They were accurate and I thought they looked really good... In that day I went with the Remington 700ml instead of the Ruger....

Our local gun shop has one for $350.00. It looks nice but the barrel doesn't look like it was cleaned the last time it was shot.

I have a Ruger 77/50 and like it a lot. I bought it new for $300 about seven years ago.
It is the cheaper model with "American hardwood" (beech) stock and blued barrel. The Officer's
Model or the laminated stock with stainless barrel cost quite a bit more at the time.

I bought it because I already had several Ruger model 77 rifles and it had the same look and feel.
I also have had no problems with the factory #11 breech plug and did not like the Cabela's 209
conversion kit when I tried it. FWIW, the 209 conversion kit is similar to the one shown on the
Blackhorn 209 bottle as not approved.

It has a 22" inch barrel and Ruger's max load was 120gr black powder. I recommend using BP,
Pyrodex or T7 loose powder. I get the best accuracy with 85 gr FFFg T7, 250gr XTP or SST in
a Harvester smooth short back sabot. I use CCI #11 caps. As long I seat the caps correctly, I
have had no misfires.

Very nice , thorough report Reese. It's reports like that , that make me visit this website every day!!! :wink:

Back