Ruger Mark II Target .22

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Most of the time I shoot muzzleloaders of course. But today was one of them days. I spent all morning working in the shop and it was late in the afternoon and I was itching to shoot. But I then got the ... I don't want to clean it blues.

So I was in the house looking over the rifles and then spotted my Ruger Mark II target pistol. This one has the long bull target barrel and target sights. And it is a very accurate pistol as well as fun to shoot. Plus easy to clean.

So outside I went. Figured I shoot a combat course for starters. And that was a lot of fun. And the little pistol did very well. Put it this way, out to 25 yards you'd of been in a world of trouble. I was shooting 36 grain Remington hollow point .22 Golden Bullets. Remington not my favorite, but they are cost effective. They have a 1210 fps at the muzzle.

I then decided to bench the pistol and see what it could do. Again, very impressive. It held a nice group at 25 yards, as I expected it to do, so I went in the house and got some old grapefruits. Set a box at 50 yards and then a grapefruit on top of that. That little pistol put 5 out of 10 in that grapefruit and the destruction it did to that fruit was kind of impressive.

I ended up shooting a couple hundred rounds for sure. But that sure is a nice change. Also the new CCW is coming into effect. Most will have to take a course to get licensed. I believe I will not have to because of my past occupation if I read it all right. And if I do, so be it. And I want to be ready, should they make a range assessment for you.

That Ruger Mark II is am amazing little pistol. One of the best gifts I was ever given. Its a great little squirrel pistol and even rabbits. Especially if you do not care how many you come home with.

Sounds like you had a good day of shooting, a change of pace is good!

I've owned a couple of MKII Ruger pistols in the past, but they went by the wayside in gun trades. They were very accurate little .22's for sure. I recently got the urge to own another one so I purchased a new MKIII .22/45 and put a 30mm Ultradot on it. I haven't even had the chance to get out and sight it in yet because it's just been too hot and miserable. But, I fully expect it to be very accurate like the previous ones I've owned. They ARE fun to shoot and ammo isn't too expensive comparitively. Here is a pic of it....

DSCN0113.jpg

Wow.. that is pretty. Howe can you not shoot that?

My ex-father in law had a Ruger Mark II without the bull barrel. We bought if for him so he could go shooting with me. And I was always amazed at how accurate that simple Ruger pistol was. While mine had the bull barrel, I always said, his was about as accurate as mine.. free hand.

I have 2 Mark IIs, like them much. My buddy fell into a sandy stream while trapping a few years back, he had his Mark II in the belt. He was drenched & got the Mark II full of sand, inside. When we met up later on I stripped it down & gave it a very good cleaning. Just for grins I also put in a new Volquartsen extractor. It's working as good as new again.

Nic did you put those grips on your 22/45 or did they come on it. I have a 22/45 that just has the black plain grips which are made into the grip frame with no way to change them. I'd love to have a different set of grips because the breakdown mech. in the rear is kind of hard on the palm of my hand when I shoot a lot.

johnpb said:
Nic did you put those grips on your 22/45 or did they come on it.

Those grips come on the new MKIII Hunter model. I used to have one of the original MKII 22/45's with the grips like you're talking about. I've seen on Rimfire Central where there are guys who can hog out the grips on those guns and install threaded bushings and grip panels like mine. Makes the older 22/45's really look nice.

Latest posts

Back