Ruger Old Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl52

Reaction score
I just went to all of the gun sales sites on the net. GB GunsIntern. and Gunsamerica. Why are all these people selling Ruger Old Armys requiring FFL shipping doesnt make sense to me there Black Powder. Guess I will find one another place Im not doing an FFL on BP pistol. Al

Probably a standard message and the clerk doesn't know any better so it doesn't get changed.  I've called or emailed when really interested.  They usually say something like oh you're right no FTP needed.

I bought mine with out using a FFL dealer...but I seen some that had the conversion kit with a cylinder to shoot .45 long colt cowboy ammo..so maybe thats what makes it FFL required..not sure

I will only ship my Huntsman BP center break rifle through 
FFL because in some states it is considered illegal not to.

The book of laws in Florida alone is over 700 pages long 
and often contradictory and/or vague.

Since the rifle is only a couple hundred dollars, I do 
not care to risk a legal 'sheet storm' over so little cash. 

Some may consider that overkill. I call it peace of mind. 

PLUS, I like my arms shipped by people who do it all the time 
so it is no big deal to me.

I had a BP percussion cap Kentucky long rifle sent to RonC via 
The Armories cause I wanted it done right.

Since the ROA is not an exact replica of an old revolver it is considered a modern weapon by the ATF,  requires form 4473 and is to be shipped through an FFL holder to be legal.......so CYA.

John

I have had two sent to me with no hassle and no dealer. It's a black powder gun and, as such, is not a firearm by definition. It's done all the time.

None of the "replicas" are exact especially the Italian and Spanish guns. Also any gun made prior to 1898 is an antique firearm and not subject to "modern firearm" laws. I have a Broomhandle Mauser semi-auto that was made in 1897 and it is exempt from all such requirements even though it will shoot 11 shells as quick as you can pull the trigger.

Bob,

The ROA can be used with conversion cylinders for center fire. The Huntsman rifle with a BP barrel (like some other makes), can be replaced with a center fire barrel, both are in the same boat and require an FFL to mail frame/receiver if you want to be legal. 

John

John, we can argue but we may both be right. It is common to ship an ROA and a conversion cylinder to the same person and as long as they are in separate boxes, the feds don't give a flip.

The Huntsman's centerfire barrel is not a conversion barrel and that may be the difference. Both the barrels were also manufactured for that gun by the gun's manufacturer. The ROA's conversion cylinders are not made by Ruger and never were. They were "invented" as an afterthought. They are also made for Piettas and Ubertis. If you are correct, then they also must be shipped through an FFL dealer. However, that's not the case.

Just to chime in on the subject...The form and function of the ROA was that based similar to an 1858 Remington the cylinder conversion is an after thought by some one else...So it basically falls under BP regulations....I have shipped them all over the place with no problems...I worked in a gun shop for 7 years and was very intimate with shipping and receipt regulations...And it is not a smart idea sending the weapon with a conversion cylinder because this could be construed as intent to use it as a modern weapon and now you are in a very gray area open to interpretation...Thanks for reading my thoughts and opinions...

YMHS
Hilljack

Interesting conversation... 
I think you all make good points. 

Perhaps this is one of those 'greyer' areas that DO exist in the written law? 
Some seem written to be almost intentionally obtuse, either out of ignorance or 
an intention to muddy the waters so much that people will stop gun hobbies.

I like the idea of shipping as 'parts.' I have no idea of the legality.

Back