Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter .44 Mag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. Not the super model. I like the 240 grain flat nose for deer. Normally I use the Winchester ammunition. It really shoots good. I've shot three deer with the revolver and none were tracking jobs. Now I did scope my Redhawk with a B Square mount. I put a 2x20mm Simmons Pro handgun scope on it. It shot great until the B Square scope mount fell apart. I called Safari Land who owns B Square and they said they would mail me a new mount.

The deer were shot close range with open sights. Two were head shots and one I shot behind the front shoulder. That one ran maybe 30 yards. The reason I put the scope on it was I wanted to do head shots and from a tree stand at close range, I figured that would be a more sure shot.

6-6-DSCN0592_zps695812f4.jpg

The revolver was shooting well and holding a great group (the top group) until the mount began to fail, as you can see.

That's funny I had a Ruger redhawk in .44mag. Missed that thing for a long time. Palm sized group at 50 with open sight s. Wife didn't want me to sell it cause it was cute. Heavy load with w296, light special loads with unique.

accuracy is everything

I'm going to go handle one this week just to make sure it fits me ok. It will be my first handgun though I have shot several over the years, .22 revolver up to .45 1911 pistol. I really enjoy it. The more I research the Super BlackHawk Hunter, the more I like it.

I applied for my CCW permit yesterday (enjoyed the training and learned a lot, much to go though) and hope to receive it next week. I don't plan to carry the Ruger Hunter for protection, but will deer hunt with it. I will more than likely scope it (Ultradot 30 may still be mounted) with a Nikon Force XR.

I have a shorter barreled Blackhawk in 45 Colt and a 7.5" Redhawk in 44 mag. The only deer I shot with a handgun was an 8 ptr with a 357 at 'bow hunter' range.

If using any handgun today I'd likely use a WFN hardcast lead bullet for best penetration. I think a handgun is fine at shorter ranges, no scope needed. One will never compare to a modern M-L though when it comes to hanging deer on the buck pole.

If you are just getting your CC permit how about a versatile carry gun? It would be hard to get one that could serve both hunting and CC duties. A smallish 9mm or even a 40 would be a good choice, as many others.

Back