Rust prevention

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesthuntn

Reaction score
What do you use after you clean your muzzleloader? I have been using Bore Butter and haven't had any issues but read bad things about it.

As MSalyards said, Clean the Rifle THOROUGHLY, then use a Good Quality Gun oil to Protect it From Rust. Bore butter, and Seasoning the Bore? What a CROCK!! And an AWESOME Way to ROTT your Bore out

When you clean your Rifle with a Patched Jag, do you think you are getting EVERY little tiny Crevice, especially in the Groove Corners? Without a Bore Scope All we can do is HOPE SO! We then dry the Bore, And Coat liberally with a Quality Gun OIL, This Oil will help neutralize ANYTHING we possibly missed. Now think about Bore Butter, you Slather it in there, Covering up/Sealing Over everything, What is happening underneath the Bore butter in the Little Nooks n Crannies that didn’t get Clean? RUST is forming, Soon to be Pitting.

Until you own a Quality Borescope and Go down a Bore, You have NO IDEA How Rough a BRAND NEW Bore actually is, It is SHOCKING to See!! The little Tooling Marks etc. etc. All we can do is Clean the ABSOLUTE best we Can, And use a High Quality Gun Oil to Protect the Steel.

If i were in the Market for a HIGH QUALITY Gun Oil i would UNDOUBTEDLY Go with EEZOX
https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Premium-Synthetic-Gun-Care/dp/B07FCRVTDL

Here is a pic i played with to try and describe for some that might not understand what i mean above

The 2 Red Lines with Arrows are Pointing at the Riflings, These are NO PROBLEM to get good n clean with a Tight fitting Patched Jag, As these are what the Patched Jag Rides Back n Forth on, The problem is we CANNOT get down inside the Grooves the same way we are getting the Riflings (Note The Little Red Line Running across a Groove. Here is where a REALLY tight Fitting Patched Jag Comes in, Along with the use of a Quality Loop Through MUZZLELOADER Bore Brush (Which i swear by) to Break any Crud loose that may be left in the Groove Corners, Tooling Marks, etc.
zldMxGN.jpg

Now imagine Sealing the above Bore up with Bore Butter? You just Sealed the Bores Fate! Doesn’t a High Quality Gun oil make better Sense? At least the Gun oil has a Chance to Neutralize anything possibly left behind.

And BELIEVE ME, if you think your Guns are Meticulously Clean? Get yourself a Quality Borescope like my new Teslong and be prepared to be SHOCKED!! Your Barrels are NASTY, WAY WAY Beyond what you think they are

Great post above Lewis!! In addition I would add to use a bronze brush one caliber above what bore you are cleaning. Use a .54 caliber brush in a .50 bore. Use a .50 caliber brush in a .45 bore....
The reasoning for this is the longer brushes will be able to get into the grooves of the rifling to bring crud out or to the top for better chance of removal. I do this after a range session or at the end of muzzle loader seasons before storage.

Great post above Lewis!! In addition I would add to use a bronze brush one caliber above what bore you are cleaning. Use a .54 caliber brush in a .50 bore. Use a .50 caliber brush in a .45 bore....
The reasoning for this is the longer brushes will be able to get into the grooves of the rifling to bring crud out or to the top for better chance of removal. I do this after a range session or at the end of muzzle loader seasons before storage.

A bore brush makes a DAMN BIG Difference!! I see people Claim there is “No need” for a Bore Brush in a Muzzleloader, Just simple Tap water is all you need, They are ABSOLUTELY FULL OF IT!! And haven’t a CLUE!! I challenge them to Run a Quality Borescope down there Bores and See what they’ve been missing? I can tell you it’s SHOCKING, and one HECK of an Eye opener to What’s actually happening down there, The Groove Corners are What Suffer.

I will pull a Barrel Right now and Show it with my Teslong Scope :lewis: And i am a METICULOUS Fella with my Cleaning

Here is a Junk barrel i have laying here to pull the Breech Plug for a New Barrel Build. This Barrel was given to me this way, i have never fired it.

This is a more extreme example, but should get my point across.

Look closely at the Rifling/Land here, Red Arrow Pointing at it, Notice how it is Fairly clean? Its not all nasty and pitted up, A patched Jag can, and Will clean the Riflings/Lands Really well, that is what the Patch Rides on! The Grooves are the Tricky part
pkhHZUDl.jpg

Now, SAME Picture, But i am Pointing out the Groove Corner, Look at the Rust Running the Length of it, and Note the Pitting that has worked it’s way up on the Rifling/Land Just Above the point of the Arrow, This problem STARTED in the Groove Corner!! This is why i SWEAR BY THE USE OF A GOOD BORE BRUSH, they get in and Break this Crud up, Allowing you to Swish/Push it out.

Now imagine Thinking this Barrel was Clean? And assuming you had it dry. And then Smearing/Coating it over Good with Bore Butter, What is this Steel gonna Do under the Bore Butter Coating? RUST AND PIT OUT!! Like I’ve said before, You “Sealed it’s Fate” When you get these Barrels GOOD N CLEAN, AND BONE DRY, Use a Good Quality Gun Oil in the Bore, LIBERALLY! It’s better to Deal with getting a little Excess oil out of a Bore, than The Barrel becoming a Yard Ornament.
1UTC45zl.jpg

Lew what about using a good bore brush and 0000 Steel Wool to get the bore clean as well. I think you mentioned that in one of your other posts.

Lew what about using a good bore brush and 0000 Steel Wool to get the bore clean as well. I think you mentioned that in one of your other posts.

Steel Wool isn’t Necessary for Every outing, Routine Maintenance (Cleaning)

However i do like to do the 0000 Steel Wool about 1 time a Month on Barrels i am Shooting a LOT. But this is ONLY for Barrels that i am Marathon Shooting. When i do the 0000 Steel Wool, i use a Patch over my Jag, then Strips of Steel Wool, I play around with this til i get a REALLY REALLY Tight fit, I Get it to where it’s ALL I CAN DO to get it down, and Back, I make About 15 to 20 Strokes with the Steel Wool like this. Then Just do a NORMAL Good Deep Cleaning in Water, a Little Dish Soap, and A GOOD Bore Brush. (All of my Barrels Got This Treatment today, and Thoroughly checked over with my New Borescope, ALL are in TIP TOP Shape, Ready to Go :lewis:

Good quality oil then swab it out before you shoot!
Quality oil after cleaning works well.

Oxidation remover worked well on my "Stainless Steel " surface refrigerator. I wondered would it do the same in a gun barrel.

I use J B Bore Cleaner twice a year. In the Fall after shooting all summer at the range and Winter after hunting season. Finish with a nice coat of Break Free CLP on all my guns muzzle and centerfire been doing this for years in a very damp climate of Central NY and I've never had any rust problems. :elmer:

That is exactly what happens with Borebutter. It builds up on the edge of the lands in the groove. Pretty hard to make sure its all removed when its time to shoot it without a bore scope. Might as well be using cosmoline if you think BoreBummer is a good product. It at least is a excellent long term storage product and a pain to remove as well.

With modern synthetics i just dont see a reason to use BoreBummer. Barricade, Eezox, Hoppes Elite, ect ect take your pick. They will all provide better protection. You should be swabbing it out anyway before shooting so dont get too caught up in synthetic being a "must have" either.

That is exactly what happens with Borebutter. It builds up on the edge of the lands in the groove. Pretty hard to make sure its all removed when its time to shoot it without a bore scope. Might as well be using cosmoline if you think BoreBummer is a good product. It at least is a excellent long term storage product and a pain to remove as well.

With modern synthetics i just dont see a reason to use BoreBummer. Barricade, Eezox, Hoppes Elite, ect ect take your pick. They will all provide better protection. You should be swabbing it out anyway before shooting so dont get too caught up in synthetic being a "must have" either.

100% Agree!! :lewis:

Back