Rust patch out of Renegade after cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob L.

Reaction score
Cleaned my new to me Renegade with warm water and the first dry patch had this? Ran several patches until no more color and then ran 2 patches of Barricade with no more signs of this color. Think it’s ok? Could have been flash rust?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
My Renegade patches are usually the same and improve with more cleaning. What deermanok said is interesting since I use bore butter on mine. I don't use solvent based cleaners or protectants on my sidelocks just natural stuff.

BC's Sheath (now called "Barricade") will leave a slight brownish tint on your patches even when there's no rust present.

I've seen that before, and what I do now is to just check it again with a patch with Barricade on it every other night for a few nights after cleaning it.

I've used Sheath/Barricade for decades and it's never failed me.

Old No7

I'm going to guess that you're using city water from the tap.
I get that every single time if I use heated city water from the tap. I believe it is the chlorine added to most city water.
By heated, I mean from warm but I can put my hand in it without it being too uncomfortable, to boiling hot. Flash rust every time when I run my first drying patch after cleaning.

Room temp or cold works fine for cleaning, but hot is a bit nicer for evaporating so the barrel dries faster.
But you can use room temp to cold water from the tap and most likely won't see that anymore.

If you want to use hot water but not see the flash rust, do one of two things. Buy distilled water by the gallon to have on hand to use, or bring your city water to a rolling boil for a solid 10 minutes to get rid of the chlorine. Both have worked 100% of the time for me so far.

Give it a try, I think you'll see that color go away.

Latest posts

Back