Sabot Experimenting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushersam

Reaction score
Help me understand this. Shouldn't bullet/sabot diameter be close to groove diameter? (Not bore diameter)
Am I totally wrong?

No. Typically groove to groove on a fifty cal would measure .510. You would never be able to push that diameter through a bore where land measurement would be .500 or there abouts. Ideal would be .502 or .503. The cupping on the bottom of the sabot has give to it for expanding into the grooves so that all gases push the bullet forward. Of course there are also issues of gases leaking in the other direction through the breach plug. On bullet to bore something like a felt wad would work like the cupping on a sabot. Next time at the range find and take a look at a spent sabot paying particular attention to the cup. You will see what I mean.

Your post helped considerably, I haven't factored in what the cup of the sabot does. Am I correct in saying cup of sabot has more influence on bullet accuracy than petals. Is that a crazy statement?
Thanks for your help

I've always seemed to get the best groups when bullet/sabot seat with moderate pressure. One good push down to the powder charge and a little extra push to make sure bullet is seated. I would be worried about torn petals on the sabot with lots of loading pressure or the bullet/sabot being loose and coming off the powder charge. I always start a new gun with a crush rib and go from there. I had a pair of T/C Triumphs at the range yesterday that both loaded as described with a crush rib and a .452 300 grain Deep Curl.

I've always seemed to get the best groups when bullet/sabot seat with moderate pressure. One good push down to the powder charge and a little extra push to make sure bullet is seated. I would be worried about torn petals on the sabot with lots of loading pressure or the bullet/sabot being loose and coming off the powder charge. I always start a new gun with a crush rib and go from there. I had a pair of T/C Triumphs at the range yesterday that both loaded as described with a crush rib and a .452 300 grain Deep Curl.
That's exactly what I'm seeing, so far my best groups have come with black crush rib sabots they load like there's no bottom with Parker Ballistics Extreme 275 Gr. They check around .501/.502. I've got some black HPH24 THAT bullet/sabot measure .503. Gonna compare them with crush rib and see how they group. The crush rib sorta scares me in hunting situation is it possible for bullet/sabot to slide away from powder since they load so easily?

That's exactly what I'm seeing, so far my best groups have come with black crush rib sabots they load like there's no bottom with Parker Ballistics Extreme 275 Gr. They check around .501/.502. I've got some black HPH24 THAT bullet/sabot measure .503. Gonna compare them with crush rib and see how they group. The crush rib sorta scares me in hunting situation is it possible for bullet/sabot to slide away from powder since they load so easily?
If the crush rib loads with what I call moderate pressure the bullet/sabot ain't going nowhere. If the crush rib seems to loose you could try the regular short black Harvester. I have to believe the HPH24 and the crush rib would be very close the same size. It's all about getting the right fit. Something less than ideal would also be acceptable. The Parker Ballistic Extreme is one of the most accurate bullets on the market in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back