sabot or not

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaw45

Reaction score
New to ML'ing, don't have my gun yet, but I am researching bullets. I know it all depends on what the gun likes to shoot, but is there a difference between a saboted bullet or a bullet with no sabot like a powerbelt? Is there a difference in accuracy? I would think that a sabot might have a chance to affect the bullet's flight if the sabot's petals were to hit the bullet before it let go. Or is that even possible?

Thanks for all the info on this site.

Where sabots are legal that is what I would use,I hunt CO. for Elk so its conicals only, Here in Wi I use sabots ,Sabots will shoot flatter and faster.
Redclub

I am going to play with both approaches in my Elite this fall. I think I'll want knock down energy more than a flatter shooting longer range gun with 777.

I know it all depends on what the gun likes to shoot, but is there a difference between a saboted bullet or a bullet with no sabot like a powerbelt?

This is harder to answer than one might think! :lol:

Yes there IS a difference. Lets say we are talking about a .50cal muzzleloader. You may shoot two types of bullets in your muzzleloader, saboted bullets and/or bore size conical bullets. A saboted bullet relies on the sabot to seal the bore for propulsion, engage the rifling, and transport the bullet the length of the barrel until exiting. In a .50 cal muzzleloader the sabot is .50cal and the bullet will be somewhat smaller, typically either .40cal, .429cal, .451cal, or .458cal depending on sabot/bullet chosen. A bore sized conical will be the diameter of the bore in this case .50cal. It functions just like any other rifle bullet. A Powerbelt is nothing more than a glorified and expensive conical.

Is there a difference in accuracy?

That depends on the rifle and the bullet chosen. The proper rifle with the proper conical/load will shoot just as good as a proper rifle/saboted bullet combination and vice versa.

I would think that a sabot might have a chance to affect the bullet's flight if the sabot's petals were to hit the bullet before it let go. Or is that even possible?

I guess that's POSSIBLE but I've never seen it happen. The properly functioning sabot releases the bullet AS the bullet exits the muzzle and has no influence whatsoever on bullet flight.

Back