Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was out playing today with a new 45 and two different sabots the bullets were 195 expanders. Any how the tan sabots that came with the bullets were traveling 80 yards down range accuracy was not that awful. I then tried some light blue ribbed sabot they were about 10 yards out and loaded to easy it seemed like and wasn’t groping all that great. Does anyone think that the sabot is going 80 yards down range is because I curled them to much.that just seems to far what do you guys think

In both of my .45s [one a BH gun and one a smokeless] the plain sabots come off the bullets at about 15 feet from the barrels end using any .40 cal bullet. I don't use the crush ribs because they load far too easy to use with Blackhorn or smokeless. I've tried the tan sabots that my Expanders come with, and I think they are too stiff. I don't like how they load so Harvester non-crush ribs get the nod for both guns.

The light tan are for the recycling bin, I've never got them to shoot, Michigan Muzzy says they make good sub basis I think that's a good idea, there is only the light blue either the solid or the ribbed ,,I shoot the solid more I'll try not to go into a rant about how phenomenal the light blue is all of you know how difficult that is for me,,, only thing I like about the tan is the color other than that they have been so inconsistent I don't even try them anymore.

Yes I did next day out I will try a few that have not been curled maybe I over did it also. And I’m going to grab some of the light blue smooth sabots. I didn’t like the crushed ribbed to loose

yes, but that doesn't matter about the sabots. Regardless of powder type, my gun did not like the tan MMP sabots with any bullets. It seems to like the crush ribs with every bullet.
Do they push down easy for you?? I can push the crushed rubbed sabots down using only three fingers on the rod that just seems a little two easy

I was out playing today with a new 45 and two different sabots the bullets were 195 expanders. Any how the tan sabots that came with the bullets were traveling 80 yards down range accuracy was not that awful. I then tried some light blue ribbed sabot they were about 10 yards out and loaded to easy it seemed like and wasn’t groping all that great. Does anyone think that the sabot is going 80 yards down range is because I curled them to much.that just seems to far what do you guys think
Light blue non rib work for me

The smooth HLBS takes 2 hands on the ramrod in my Scout. Not bust a vein tight but very snug.
Have you ever tried the light blue crushed ribbed In comparison size wise. Just wondering the difference. The groups wasn’t terrible with the tan sabots but not great neither. I don’t like the fact that they were traveling 80+ yards down range. Also with the crushed ribbed sabots the bullets all were hitting 3-4 inches left of the bullets from the tan sabots

Back