sabot question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory326

Reaction score
So I want to shoot sabots out of my Buckstalker and started researching it abit. I had read that some sabots need to be lubed? I just picked up some Hornady SST ML and TC Cheap Shots...Do I need to lube these b4 I shootem? (Like lubing them after makes any sense lol) How do I determine if a sabot needs lube?

Cory,

It may help to know that the sabot is what grabs the rifling. Lube on the sabot would be counterproductive. You want the sabot to grab the grooves, spin the bullet and then fall away after leaving the barrel.

Larry.. that's kinda what I figured...I had read else where that some folks would put a little lube on the sabot to help it "load easier". I Would think that if a sabot needed "lube" to load that someones got too tight a load. Thanks for the clarification.

Cory326 said:
Larry.. that's kinda what I figured...I had read else where that some folks would put a little lube on the sabot to help it "load easier". I Would think that if a sabot needed "lube" to load that someones got too tight a load. Thanks for the clarification.

You got it. If its too tight to load, find a different sabot. There a wide variety of options.

Let us know how your range session goes. Generally, a new gun will take some experimenting and then, once your identify the proper combo, your set for a long and rewarding relationship.

One last thing. Proper cleaning is a must. I plan cleaning time into any range session. If I don't have time to clean it properly, I don't go shooting.

There is a great sticky on the proper cleaning technique. Sorry for the lecture but I've seen so many good guns ruined by a failure to clean I had to send out the reminder.

Well I didn't have a lot of time to shoot so I just shot a couple 25 yd groups. I was getting 2" groups a little low and to the left. A quick sight adjustment should fix it up. I was shooting T/C Cheap shots over 70 gr of Triple seven. I was getting similar reaults with Hornady SST MLs. I'll shoot some more at longer ranges this weekend and see how it goes. I give my muzzleloaders a good cleaning after I'm done as well. I've seen some used bp rifles that look like they've been used as a water pipe for 30 yrs. I don't want my rifles to be one of them.

Latest posts

Back