sabot questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadbreak

Reaction score
I read alot of posts here where people talk about what bullets they use and the sabots are sometimes diffrent than what came with the bullets. I understand if your barrel is tight you will use a thinner sabot but why change it if its not? Do some sabots have better shooting characteristics than others? Can I get a basic run down what sabots are better at what application? From what I read there is a big selection but where I shop there is not.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that will give you a lot of the size info.
Yes trying different sabots the same size will some times yield surprising results. The Short Black Harvester and the MMP HPH24 are the same thickness but different plastic and different length, one of them shoot one hole groups with the 250 SW and the other shoots one hole groups with the 250 Gold Dot. Lee

Which one shoots one hole groups with SW 250's ? Is that basically what the difference is in sabots is thickness?

For some reason, some rifles like a short sabot. They seem to spin them better, or kick them off better, who knows. But the difference will show up in the groups.

If your rifle has a tight bore, then you want a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot, or a MMP hph-24 or one of the E-Z glide sabots (although my rifles hate them things for some reason).

If you have a larger bore then the standard sabot will normally work just fine. All you can do is try them.

Latest posts

Back