Sabots Do Make A Difference

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highoctane

Reaction score
A few days ago I posted about some accuracy issues I was having. The problem seemingly was the Crush Rub sabots and 45 Cal 300 gr XTP out of my Optima V2 LR. I tried different powder charges but all were an exercise in futility..Now don't get me wrong, these are really good sabots as many can attest to! However, they just didn't work for me.

I ordered some 45 cal Harvester Short black (H5045SB) and 44 cal, green, for the bullets I have on hand.

Today I had a little bit of time so I grabbed the rifle and the range box and headed to my range. However, I only got to send a few downrange which is better than none.

Top pic is 100 grs, volume, of BH 209, 45 Cal XTP. Bottom pic is two shots with a 44 cal. 300 gr XTP with same powder charge. Both used CCI 209M. I understand this is only a few shots but it is miles ahead of where it was last Saturday. There is beginning to be some happiness in Mudville....:D

P_20190209_184434_HDR.jpg P_20190209_184453_HDR.jpg

Glad you found a combo that is accurate.

What tickles me, I've got two loads that seem to work really well. I'll get out next Wednesday to shoot some more. Got some rain coming Monday and Tuesday

I’ve got a new accura v2 lr and I found the Hornady 300 sst low drag over 80g volume bloackhorn/ 112.5g RS to be touching at 50yds.

The no excuses 300g boattail with the red sabot is also right there with the same load. And is waaaaay cheaper per shot.

I’ve now moved out to 100yds and today threw 22 shots down range of the no excuses changing from the CCI 209m to federal 209a and messing around with the sabot types. Fun range day!

What tickles me, I've got two loads that seem to work really well. I'll get out next Wednesday to shoot some more. Got some rain coming Monday and Tuesday
I'll throw you 2 more in case you want to try some more. The Hornady 265 FTX in a Harvester smooth green sabot over 110 gr BH209 anf the Hornady 325 gr FTX in an orange MMP HPH sabot over 100 gr BH209. Both are one hole accurate at 100 yd and like the XTPs, both bullets are fairly inexpensive. I took 3 deer with the 265 FTX from 90-183 yd and all were DRT. Actually, I have found the current model CVA Optimas & Accuras to not be bullet picky. They will shoot almost any good bullet when matched with the right sabot and 100-110 gr BH209.

I'll throw you 2 more in case you want to try some more. The Hornady 265 FTX in a Harvester smooth green sabot over 110 gr BH209 anf the Hornady 325 gr FTX in an orange MMP HPH sabot over 100 gr BH209. Both are one hole accurate at 100 yd and like the XTPs, both bullets are fairly inexpensive. I took 3 deer with the 265 FTX from 90-183 yd and all were DRT. Actually, I have found the current model CVA Optimas & Accuras to not be bullet picky. They will shoot almost any good bullet when matched with the right sabot and 100-110 gr BH209.

Thanks for info!!

The 325gr FTX is a real thumper too. The Hornady ammo for 45/70 325gr FTX is rated at 2050fps. You can make almost that in a Optima with BH209 but its gunna be rough on the shoulder. You wll also need either the MMP Orange sabot or the NEW Harvester 50x458 Crushrib. The new Harvester is probably going to be a better fit in the Optima. Not sure if its on their website yet but they got them now.

Yep they got them listed now
https://www.harvestermuzzleloading....-crushed-rib-sabot-for-458-bullet-pack-qty-50
d632334130a2b9d194362b7d857b88bf_XL.jpg

There is a post, on modernmuzzleloader.com, where they list the different diameter of the sabots.

Last edited:
These 300 gr 44 and 45 cal XTP's will be all I'll ever need in my neck of the woods. Where I hunt my shots are 100 yds or less, with vast majority being 50-60 yds..

I think I’m going to have to try some of those Havester Crushed rib orange .458 sabots. I already have the Hornady 325ftx’s for reloading my marlin 45/70. It pretty much shoots the same velocity as a 50cal muzzeloader and they do lay the smack down when they hit. Curious to see how they shoot out of my TC Prohunter.

The new Harvester is probably going to be a better fit in the Optima. Not sure if its on their website yet but they got them now.
I didn't even know this were available. Thanks for posting it. You are correct. The 325 FTX in the orange MMP sabot is a tight fit in the CVAs. Loadable but tight. Actually all .458 bullets I have tried are a tight fit. The orange crush rib would definitely load better. I'm glad to see they now have them.

Glad you are shooting better. The funny thing, you could take another rifle exact same as yours and it might like the CR better. Tinkering is half the fun with this sport :D

Latest posts

Back