Savage EZ-Tool???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Mine works great for removal fo breech plug...but when I use the EZ-Tool to snug down (using slot on rt. as per instructions) savage short rod is tight against receiver and you really cant torq breech plug down completely tight. I can use a small screw driver & use slot on left to do the job but the short tool coming with 10 ML-II will not achieve a snug down of breech plug.

Just wondering...anyone else experience this???

I assume you are talking about Pocampo's EZ-Tool? I was just about to buy one...

Is yours the four-hole or two-hole version?

Loggy,
Some, not all ,Savage 10ML-IIs have a breech plug when tight that the slots on the back of the breech plug are rotated past vertical somewhere between 12:00 & 3:00 O'clock.

This variation is caused by the factory head space setting (tolerance) and tooling variance of the breech plug itself.
As time goes by this variance seems to be more common even between different breech plugs.

At first there was only one version of the Savage EZ Tool the standard one, but as more and more breech plugs were being found to have slots rotated past vertical to some degree it became necessary to make the rotated version of the Savage EZ Tool to correct for this.

So there are basically 2 versions of the Savage EZ Tool, standard and rotated. Even though the Savage EZ Tool has 4 radial holes you still might not have a perfect match where the exact same adjustment is available on both sides, but if this occurs you can always tighten and loosen from one side only if need be with the right tool. I have yet to see where either a standard version or a rotated version wouldn't work in all cases.

The difference in the standard version VS the rotated version is the position of the fingers on the end of the Savage EZ Tool. On the standard version the 4 radial holes are located on a line between the 4 fingers and on the rotated version the 4 radial holes are located inline with the 4 fingers. This allows one version or the other to work regardless of how the breech plug slots orientation ends up.

In your case it sounds like you need the rotated version to work correctly.

That is the reason it is suggested in the Savage EZ Tool banner ad on this site and elsewhere, when ordering to please verify the orientation of the vertical slots on the back of your breech plug when tight so that you get the right EZ Tool , standard/rotated.

You can't fix an issue that you are not aware even exists.
I will gladly exchange it at no charge for the other version if you like. Just send me a pm and let me know what your breech plug slot orientation is for sure and I will get one coming your way.

PS: the most exact way to check this is to remove the bolt and look thru the receiver with a light and make note of the breech plug slot orientation when tight.

Pocampo

Thanks Pocampo. Mine was one of the first ones bought before the "rotated" version was available. Looks like I need the "rotated" version.

Sending you you a PM.

Loggy said:

Just wondering...anyone else experience this???

Nope, mine fits and works perfect with the scope attached! I like it alot! A definite MUST have accesory for any 10ML-II owner IMO! :yeah:

Mountain Man said:
I assume you are talking about Pocampo's EZ-Tool? I was just about to buy one...

Is yours the four-hole or two-hole version?

MM, mine is the 4 slot.

WOW!!! What Customer Service!!! I ALREADY received the replacement Savage EZ Tool "Rotated Version" in the mail today from Pocampo aka Thomas Scott.

Thanks much Tom for your great service in exchanging my tool. The Rotated Version fits perfectly!!! :)

I will return mine in the mail Monday.

I have concluded that the Savage EZ Tool is a must for all serious 10 ML-II owners...especially those who hunt. Most importantly, it can be carried (lightly :lol: )while hunting to check on that ever critical breech plug tightness in addition to being able to very easily remove breech plug without loosening ANY action screws for cleaning before or after the hunt/range visit.

It's handy for all of them, especially if you travel.

The best one in my correctly priced opinion (free) is the two prong version. I use more than one breechplug, generally carry a clean back-up ready to rock, and the two prong fits them all.

As it is tool steel, it is much stronger than the factory fishwhacker.

Grouse said:
Loggy, you only have one Savage now right? Is that tool a benefit with the HB Savage as well?

Tom,

I still have my Henry Ball No. 104....a keeper for sure. I sold my first 10 ML-II to snuffy here on this Board. I'm down to 3 In-Lines....my HB, White Super 91 & Knight Disc Elite (all 50's of course :lol: ). I did have a second Elite which I bot during the "Best Deal On Earth" :lol: when they were on Sale PLUS had rebate but last year sold to my Buddy. The one I got now is NIB.

I'm still not sure how this works for cleaning the gun,as I always remove the bolt so I can clean from the breech end. I don't however like to pack the long fish wacker,it's too long! Ron :)

breechplug tool

for anybody with access to an abrasive cutoff off any kind this took all of 15 minutes to make, uses a 1/2" regular reach socket[1/4" drive]. consists of the stock savage tool cut to 1 3/8"[ measured from the breech end not counting the engagement lugs], a 5/16" x 1 1/4"NC bolt and some JB weld. hardest part was waiting for the JB to dry[thats what beer was made for] works great with scope on gun, with ratchet you dont have to worry about indexing the lugs. if i can figure how to post pics to this site will foreward

Re: breechplug tool

oper2nyst said:
for anybody with access to an abrasive cutoff off any kind this took all of 15 minutes to make, uses a 1/2" regular reach socket[1/4" drive]. consists of the stock savage tool cut to 1 3/8"[ measured from the breech end not counting the engagement lugs], a 5/16" x 1 1/4"NC bolt and some JB weld. hardest part was waiting for the JB to dry[thats what beer was made for] works great with scope on gun, with ratchet you dont have to worry about indexing the lugs. if i can figure how to post pics to this site will foreward

Man, if that aint a Sales Pitch supporting..... simply buying a Savage EZ Tool from Pocampo........I've never seen one!!! The case of Beer (supporting JB Weld drying time) would cost more than the EZ Tool assumin a good beer was used in the manufacturing process notwithstanding cost of required machinery, JB Weld and other manufacturing components referenced! :lol:

logmiester, you sure your not a distributor for that tool???? net cost on mine was about $.50, i drink MGD when i do have a beer, so add another whole $.54. thats a whoppin $1.04[used the fast drying JB weld] my post wasnt meant to support or dis PO'S tool, i think its a fine item[dont hate me cuz i"m handy}

I still can't see how it helps you clean the bore,without removing the bolt action? Ron

Latest posts

Back