Savage is ready and waiting to go

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the opening of muzzleloading season. Right now it's sitting in the corner giggling ;) 'cause it know's it's going out. Powder is in it and 250 bonded SW has been seated. In the morning when I get into my blind the primer will go in and then it's just a matter of waiting for the right deer. Plans are to take a yearling mulie doe. No plans to take a buck unless a monster happens by.

Well, where do I start describing my morning. I guess the beginning ;). Got into my blind 15 minutes before legal shooting time. Started out laying out all my accoutrements. Usually deer are moving right away before you can even shoot. Well nothing. 45 minutes later hadn't seen a deer and just had to get out of the blind to answer the call of nature. I no sooner stepped out and there goes 2 coyotes walking along. Well I waited this long so a few more minutes won't matter. Sat back down, picked up the savage and lined the 2nd one. Squeezed the trigger and voila, one dead coyote and one more running for the hills. Reloaded and was about to set the rifle down and try that nature call again and what do you think? The 2nd one came back. Thought if you're that stupid, it's time to take it out of the gene pool and that's what I did :D Savage 2, coyotes 0
For the next 1/2 hours no deer seen. All of a sudden see movement and out of the bush comes a mulie buck. He walks by the 1st dead coyote, looks and continues along. He was a big fellow and let me tell you I was tempted. I looked him over real close and he was 4 x 3. No fork on the end of his main beam on the left side. As I said I was tempted but it's only the 1st day and he's not quite what I wanted. At one point he stood broad side at about 50 yds. Again nothing for 1/2 hour. Then a deer comes out. It's followed by a 2nd one. Both are whitetail bucks. The 1st was a 4 x 4, not too big and would have gone 120 or just over. The 2nd was 5 x 5 with little spread but high tines. He was likely 130 - 135. Not what I was looking for so they got a pass. Again they walked right by at about 50 yds. First mulie does went by about 8:30 and all I saw was the tops of their heads. It remained quiet again and finally 2 more came out on the other side of me. They milled around and grazed about 100 yds away just on the tree line. Neither offered a good shot and trees and branches were in the way. At one point I had a head shot available but decided against it. Saw a couple more deer later in morning in anther part of the pasture no decents shots available so I came home with a deer but had another fun morning in the woods.

Latest posts

Back