savage ML2 successful shooting.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil929mel

Reaction score
I have fired my savage ml2 hundreds of times with combinations of several bullets, powders and primers. The only reliable combination I have found is this: MMP HPH 12 sabots, 42 gr. IMR 4759 powder. Hornaday 250 gr. HP xtp, and most important. Federal 209A primers. This combination will get you 1" groups at 100 yds. I had to use extended rings to keep the scope away from my eye, and a PAST recoil shield to keep the rifle from beating me up. Also use the small end of ramrod so it does not get pinched between sobot fingers and bore making it hard to withdraw from bore. This rifle is awesome, but I almost sold it for it's poor performance until I found the proper components to shoot out of it. Now 100% reliable and good accuracy (not excellent).

I am not sure what you call excellent. But one inch groups at 100 yards with a muzzleloader is what I would call better than good. The load you listed will really knock the stuffing out of a deer.

Sounds like it was good for you. I get the same results with my load which is 43 grs of 4759, 250 SST and win primer. Put a 5 x 5 buck down yesterday at about 75 yds. He only went 10 feet from where he was hit.

schoolmaster said:
I am not sure what you call excellent. But one inch groups at 100 yards with a muzzleloader is what I would call better than good. The load you listed will really knock the stuffing out of a deer.

I'm with you on this one. ACTUAL 1 inch groups(GROUPS not GROUP!) is REALLY hard to beat with ANY rifle, much less a muzzleloader!

Group explanation.

I feel that I must inform all of you that the groups I shot were 1 inch or a little less only 60% of the time. In the other 40% of the strings, I usually had a wild flyer that would be out 6" or more. This is why I say the rifle shoots good, not excellent. I am willing to accept a slightly off trigger finger, but I believe it to be impossible to get absolutely consistent loading shot after shot.

I'm confused (easily) but I don't see how your load could be a real kicker, needing a PAST pad.

I really think that as time goes on, more and more people will appreciate the virtues of more moderate loads-- such as those that Krystel has been using. Unless you have need of r e a l l y stretching things out, no more could be asked for.

Latest posts

Back