Savage Ventliner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duhawki

Reaction score
Several people have said that the hole in the Savage vent liner is smaller than SMI. I just checked my SMI and found it to be a perfect fit for a #68 number bit. Seems pretty small to me. How does that compare to a Savage?

Duhawki said:
Several people have said that the hole in the Savage vent liner is smaller than SMI. I just checked my SMI and found it to be a perfect fit for a #68 number bit. Seems pretty small to me. How does that compare to a Savage?
.031-.033

That would make the Savage vent liner a couple of thousandths LARGER than the SMI vent on my barrel. Interesting.

My SMI ventliers run about .060. The one piece SMI breechplug however is closer to .031. This is from memory, when I have a chance I will measure both exactly.

.031 inch is a standard size for nipple picks. That size wire will not go through my SMI vent, but .029 will. When I picked up my barrel from Ron and Dan, they told me that I could use loads from their website and that Savage loads would be OK too. Now I wonder if SMI has intentionally reduced vent size to roughly match Savage in recent years.

Latest posts

Back