Save from a poor morning of black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
I was beat up by my Paramount CVA this morning , couldn't get my bullet size the way I wanted them I got less than an inch groups but I shot no holes,, I decided to whip out the howa smokeless Arrowhead rig I have just to salvage the day put a Target up at 300 yards I haven't shot the gun past a hundred yet, first shot that you see on the target I drop down to my third crosshair,,the next shot I drop down to my fourth and it's the shot just to the left of the black circle, then I shoot that group of three it's a little less than 1/2 inch 62 grains of h4198, 325 grain Pittman aeromax I have a pretty constant wind from right to left I'm holding just to the right of that red. That's in the middle of the black really not holding much wind at all those bullets are slick and the gun just flat shoots,, go get your creedmoor and bring it out here ha

Attachments

• IMG_20200208_162622165_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200208_162622165_HDR.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 18
Fine shootin mtn monkey !!! Well if the smoker wouldnt cooperate the sml did . They get like that sometimes . Maybe next time my friend things will go better........

Last week it was cold and dry , the bore on the Paramount was tighter, I could get enough bullet tension on the fury bullets,, it was warm and humid this weekend I struggled with my bullet sizer couldn't get the tension on my bullet the way I wanted it,, not giving up though , hard headed when it comes to accuracy, Mister Parker's making me some ballistic extremes more suited to the Paramount bore if not I guess I might have to learn how to knurl something that I'm not familiar with

Knurling is not difficult at all. There are a few videos out there but if one does not have a dedicated knurling devise one just rolls the bullet between two files of the appropriate type, normally a double bastard file.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't try to just seat the 452 straight out of the bag yesterday, I did this morning it's perfect, but again it's information that I need to learn about my Paramount bore, 75 degree humid weather bullets do not need sized, my concern is though when it's 85 or 90 degrees I might not have enough tension on that bullet shooting it bare,, I think I'm going to get some bullets made with just a little more diameter so I can size to fit the way I want,I am convinced that CVA to me made a mistake building that bore and barrel around that bullet the way they did I understand it from a business concept standpoint I believe that that Paramount with a different barrel on it in 20 twist would shoot beside any gun out there but I'm not giving up on this one,, got some Parker bullets on the way should fit the bore better I'll keep trying until I've got every answer I'm looking for in this barrel

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't try to just seat the 452 straight out of the bag yesterday, I did this morning it's perfect, but again it's information that I need to learn about my Paramount bore, 75 degree humid weather bullets do not need sized, my concern is though when it's 85 or 90 degrees I might not have enough tension on that bullet shooting it bare,, I think I'm going to get some bullets made with just a little more diameter so I can size to fit the way I want,I am convinced that CVA to me made a mistake building that bore and barrel around that bullet the way they did I understand it from a business concept standpoint I believe that that Paramount with a different barrel on it in 20 twist would shoot beside any gun out there but I'm not giving up on this one,, got some Parker bullets on the way should fit the bore better I'll keep trying until I've got every answer I'm looking for in this barrel
I made my own knurling machine from a pic off of doug's message boards . I bet i dont have $50 in it . Very simple to do . I always start undersized and knurl up to oversized on the lead i use for my super 91 .410 . I use it to knurl my jacketed bullets for sabots too . Make yourself one youll use it ALOT !!! Its helped immensely in SO many ways . Well WORTH the Effort !!!

Last edited:
I made my own knurling machine from a pic off of doug's message boards . I bet i dont have $50 in it . Very simple to do . I always start undersized and knurl up to oversized on the lead i use for my super 91 .410 . I use it to knurl my jacketed bullets for sabots too . Make yourself one youll use it ALOT !!! Its helped immensely in SO many ways . Well WORTH the Effort !!!
My next bullet project will be to make a bullet swedger to swell one up and/or to change the ogjive or nose shape to something VERY SEXY !!!......Cheaply .

No bullet to bore YET , but i will be Ready !!! If 1 man can do it why cant i ??? This thinkin either helps or puts me smack dab in the middle of a Real Pig , many times !!! Lol !!! I seldom fail though.....

I do catch some flak for being.......different though . I dont really care either . Their loss .

Last edited:
I've learned to do many things in life that I didn't have a natural ability for, my fanatic passion made up for my lack of natural ability and my dog headed stubbornness if I like something I will not quit I'll do it until my hands bleed and them bullets are getting in a hole,,, so much to learn I really appreciate being able to read the experience of other shooters,, thank all of you

Yep , thats my plan . Especially for that 40 . Planning ahead......
Much will be tried out on tbe 410 super 91 first . Pretty close in principles anyhow . Its tremendus now with consistant 1 hole groups of 562 to 575 or so dia with a conical @100 with a max of 6x scope !!! Im VERY proud of it !!!

Another one of the one hole remage barrel nut barrels,, hankins, I like his self timing break,,you need to see that stock in the light yourself it's made out of pear the picture doesn't do it justice

Attachments

• IMG_20200131_170739606.jpg
    IMG_20200131_170739606.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 13
I've learned to do many things in life that I didn't have a natural ability for, my fanatic passion made up for my lack of natural ability and my dog headed stubbornness if I like something I will not quit I'll do it until my hands bleed and them bullets are getting in a hole,,, so much to learn I really appreciate being able to read the experience of other shooters,, thank all of you
This site is supposed to be to share info and help . You do it too !!!

If you can't tell I'm kind of eat up with the whole muzzleloading thing,, and it all started with a CVA 50 cal,, man was that a learning curve,, I got to read and everything I could but Lord when I started watching some of them hankins videos and watch the way that t-shirt stretched across his tight beer belly when he poured that powder in that funnel and went to tapping on that a little bit,,ohhweee man I had to have me one of them I couldn't take that,, I think I drove luke crazy for a while,, but he helped me get some guns up and running I'm addicted for life now

If you can't tell I'm kind of eat up with the whole muzzleloading thing,, and it all started with a CVA 50 cal,, man was that a learning curve,, I got to read and everything I could but Lord when I started watching some of them hankins videos and watch the way that t-shirt stretched across his tight beer belly when he poured that powder in that funnel and went to tapping on that a little bit,,ohhweee man I had to have me one of them I couldn't take that,, I think I drove luke crazy for a while,, but he helped me get some guns up and running I'm addicted for life now
Lmao !!!!!! That big ole beer belly was THE FACTOR wasnt it !!! Lmao !!!! Thats so funny !!!
For me its tbe Power And Range !!!! All i could think was my 300 with 180gr @3150 aint Nothin !!!! They got Sniper Rigs !!! REAL ONES !!!!

well when I watch them bullets just start cutting the ragged hole and even when he's shooting one of the little cheap CVA hunters or scouts up there that have been converted and it went to shooting a hole ,, and now I'm there,, my accent is even worse than his,, life is so good

Lmao !!!!!! That big ole beer belly was THE FACTOR wasnt it !!! Lmao !!!! Thats so funny !!!
For me its tbe Power And Range !!!! All i could think was my 300 with 180gr @3150 aint Nothin !!!! They got Sniper Rigs !!! REAL ONES !!!!
I 'll get there.....life happens in the mean time to delay things......

Back