SCOOOORE! .50 Renegade flinter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to Dixon's today looking for caps... None to be had except #10's. Commented to Greg that the yankee govt will have us back to sparkchuckers at the rate things are going. Rather prophetic actually as a short time later I was perusing the consignment rack and there was a very nice flintlock Renegade .50 with the manual and original bill of sale ( 11/81). She was dusty and showed no signs of use other than a few very superficial scratches on the frizzen face, not even any carbon/scorch marks in the lock inletting!Finish is superb and 100% in all particulars including the bore. Even the crown has 100% blueing. She wears the excellent Patridge sights, and the hammer fits very well on the tumbler . There's no rocking to it at all. I can't wait to make smoke! I don't do my best work with flinters, but I have killed a deer with one. She balances muzzle heavy( I like a top heavy girl) and points like my finger. The bore is one of the smoothest I've seen so I expect no problems with the patches. I'm grateful to her previous owner for the limited, if any, use and the decent maintenance given her over the past 33 years. I have a fine rifle and am looking forward to making smoke and filling my freezer with her. Oh, almost forgot, rifle, manual and the box...$400

Her rifling seems curiously shallow even for a T/C. Gonna have to slug her and see. What's typical groove depth for these rifles? My Black Diamond XR slugs at .499/.511. I'm debating which will see more use, ball or bullet. I have molds for both including a minie mold. This is gonna be fun!

Confederate rifleman said:
Went to Dixon's today looking for caps... None to be had except #10's. Commented to Greg that the yankee govt will have us back to sparkchuckers at the rate things are going. Rather prophetic actually as a short time later I was perusing the consignment rack and there was a very nice flintlock Renegade .50 with the manual and original bill of sale ( 11/81). She was dusty and showed no signs of use other than a few very superficial scratches on the frizzen face, not even any carbon/scorch marks in the lock inletting!Finish is superb and 100% in all particulars including the bore. Even the crown has 100% blueing. She wears the excellent Patridge sights, and the hammer fits very well on the tumbler . There's no rocking to it at all. I can't wait to make smoke! I don't do my best work with flinters, but I have killed a deer with one. She balances muzzle heavy( I like a top heavy girl) and points like my finger. The bore is one of the smoothest I've seen so I expect no problems with the patches. I'm grateful to her previous owner for the limited, if any, use and the decent maintenance given her over the past 33 years. I have a fine rifle and am looking forward to making smoke and filling my freezer with her. Oh, almost forgot, rifle, manual and the box...$400

Great Find!! I love that store.

Latest posts

Back