Scope question?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortecman

Reaction score
I'm new to muzzleloading and I would like to know if you sight in your scope useing 4 power and when you want to shoot you turn it up to 9 power does it effect the impact point of the bullet? Also, if you have your gun dead on at 100 yds do you have to hold low at 20-30 yds? Thanks

Impact point would be the same even on most cheap scopes. Turning the dial should only increase the magnifaction & nothing more. As to sighting in, your shots should me pretty much the same at 20 yards as 100 yards. 50 yard shots will probably be high but this all depends on powder volume & bullet weight.
Frank

vortecman said:
I'm new to muzzleloading and I would like to know if you sight in your scope useing 4 power and when you want to shoot you turn it up to 9 power does it effect the impact point of the bullet? Also, if you have your gun dead on at 100 yds do you have to hold low at 20-30 yds? Thanks

When I sight in a scope I put the scope on the lowest power it has. At 13 yards I then shoot for the group, not the bull. This is taking for granted I have a known accurate load. If you like you can use a stronger power, it should make no difference on POI. Although remember, the higher the magnification the shorter the eye relief. So keep that in mind.

Once I have that accurate three shot group, I make my adjustment to the scope and shoot another three shot group. If I am close to the bulls eye or in the bulls eye, I like to back up to 25 yards and increase the power of the scope to as high as it will go (within reason). I then shoot the next three shot group and make an adjustment for the group in relation to where I want that rifle to hit.

If your rifle is dead on at 100 yards, you might be 1-1/2 inches high at 25 or 30 yards. On a deer, aiming in the middle of the kill zone, that would make little difference. If you're shooting for personal satisfaction at a bulls eye, aim the cross hair on the very bottom of the circle of the bull. It should them load the top of the 1" bull for you.

let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. Its good to have you here..

I have always sighted my scopes in on the lower power, is there a reason that you sight in at the highest power? Thanks

More accurate sight in. At 100 yards the crosshairs cover more of the target at the minimum magnification than they do at the maximum. There's more margin for error. If your using a fixed scope it's not an issue but an adjustable should always be zeroed at the highest mag.

Patrick White said:
More accurate sight in. At 100 yards the crosshairs cover more of the target at the minimum magnification than they do at the maximum. There's more margin for error. If your using a fixed scope it's not an issue but an adjustable should always be zeroed at the highest mag.

Ditto. It allow you to more presicely pin point you point of aim and repeat it.

Most scopes that come with sight in instructions also say to sight in at the highest mag. but I can't ever remember why.

:D Al

Back