Scope ... which one would you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Super Disc that I am scoping...

Trying to decide between matte black Nikon Omega (duplex), or a silver Leupold Ultimate Slam. My rings are matte black, thinking I'm leaning towards the Nikon. Both are 3-9x40. What do you guys think? :D

Which one has the better glass? Do they both give adequate eye relief?

I would take them both out near dusk and take turns glassing various objects in the waning light.

The Nikon probably has more eye relief, but I've never looked through a Leupold that didn't have at least adequate eye relief.

Personally, I don't like silver finish scopes, but a quick wrap with some camo wrap (or a little time with some Rustoleum) can fix that issue.

I personally do not like silver scopes either where the silvers dont perfectly match. If they do then it may look ok. I also a Leupold fan but I would do like Tannhauser suggested and take them out the last hour of shooting time and let your eyes decide. They both may look great in good light but that test will show which one you want hunting. Ive done that test with various scopes and its a real eye opener... nice pun huh.

I can just barely get comfortable with the Omega's 5" relief on my Super DISC. Its better at the higher magnification because the 5" rating at only 3 power.

A nice 1 piece rail though would allow it to mount further forward.

03mossy said:
I personally do not like silver scopes either where the silvers dont perfectly match. If they do then it may look ok. I also a Leupold fan but I would do like Tannhauser suggested and take them out the last hour of shooting time and let your eyes decide. They both may look great in good light but that test will show which one you want hunting. Ive done that test with various scopes and its a real eye opener... nice pun huh.

Yes, exactly my point. Low light is where the true difference in hunting scopes will come out.

I have a really inexpensive Bushnell 3-9x40 scope I use on new-to-me rifles so I can check them out at the range. Once I'm happy with a rifle, it will eventually get much better glass, depending on what I plan to do with that rifle. On a nice sunny afternoon with good weather conditions aiming at high visibility target I can't honestly say one of my expensive Leupold or Vortex scopes gives a significantly better image than that Bushnell. Definitely a difference, but the Bushnell will certainly let me put bullets accurately onto a target.

Take the same two scopes out near first or last light, and the difference is immediate and without question.

never used a nikon.. got a leupold on my marlin .. redfield make's a good scope to..

I am a Nikon scope fan. I use the Pro Staff 2-7x32 but I also have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 that is just an outstanding scope. It gathers light excellent. The glass clarity is fantastic. Its fast to adjust and focus. Although once you have it focuses, its a matter of how fast you can change powers. I use 2x or 3x when walking in. And on stand often use 7x. For fancy seeing of things that I just can't make out, I crank it to 9x. I like the Nikon guarantee also.

I have two Leupold scopes on modern rifles. They have been there for more years then I care to count. They do have a short eye relief, but I guess over the years I got used to that. Although they did bite me a few times. On thing I can say for them is, after all these years they are still dead on. So either scope will do you. But me personally, I do like Nikon scopes on muzzle loaders.

From what I have compared they seem pretty close in quality and clarity etc. I need to go deeper in the woods and check first/last light. From my house there isn't much difference. The reticle in the Leupy is not nearly as cluttered as some of the bdc type reticles I've seen, and my understanding is it works pretty well. They both have plenty of eye relief, with the Omega @ 5" vs Leupy's 4.2" . That 5" could be good if I end up shooting a heavy load....but that limits field of view some as well. I think what it comes down to for me on this rifle, is probably the look I end up liking best. I'll have to mount them up and see how they look. The one I don't use will likely go on my .45 Elite next spring.

Thanks for the input. :yeah:

Also, if anyone has any tips on dialing in the Leupold's bdc reticle, I'm all ears :D

I just checked the iStrelok app, and it has the Leupold S.A.B.R. reticle in the library. So, if you have this app, then it's easy to put in your details and see the reticle holdovers at various magnifications.

Are trying to decide which one to buy or which one to use? Both are great scopes.

I'm partial to the Omegas because they readily available for a fair price.

I have Bushnell Elites on all my guns because they have Rainguard. It's all that and a bag of chips if you hunt in any kind of bad weather. Most Elites have 3-3.5" eye relief and that is what works the best on most guns for me. 4" always seems too long and anything less than 3" seems too close for comfort on heavy hitters(especially slug/turkey guns). I've found with longer Eye relief scopes like Leupold/Nikon etc in the 4" range that I end up having to mount the scope forward an inch to get my cheekweld in the middle of the comb and then it just looks silly.

Travis299 said:
This is the scope that I have on my CVA Accura V2. You may want to check it out.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Reviews there are good and scope is built to withstand the rigors of MLs. For those on a tight budget, here's a scope to bookmark / file away for future reference.

Yep, moving extended relief eye scopes forward is cheezy to some. I do it and don't care if anyone mentions cheese or cheeze. They can also mention my high, see-thru rings, which are really cheezy to some ML users. So what!

I really don't care what others feel, think, or say. As long as the merchandise works well and I save money using it, that's all that matters.

Travis299 said:
This is the scope that I have on my CVA Accura V2. You may want to check it out.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

Yeah they are nice. That is the newer version of the Omega. I wish they made it in duplex also, as they did previously. For me, their BDC reticle is a little too much clutter.

LarryBud said:
Are trying to decide which one to buy or which one to use? Both are great scopes.

I already have both scopes on my bench. The Leupold came on a rifle that I purchased a while ago, and I bought the Omega a while back.

I have a couple of each scope, and I have found that the bdc reticle can be confusing in the heat of the moment. If you are using a scope with a bdc reticle you will need to use a ranging device to know which dot/cross hair/ect to use at extended ranges. IMHO I think you might be better off ebaying both scopes, and looking at something like a leupold vx 4.5x14x40 cds side focus w/ 30 mm tube. The ebay value of your scopes would put you close the cost of the new scope. This scope comes with a dial installed, and with some range work, a simple twist of the dial your single set of cross hairs will be right on at the desired yardage that your ML is capable shooting. All of my bdc scopes will go the way of ebay in the future. These are just my thoughts. If you have no other choice but these two scopes I would go with the leupold every time, great scopes great warranty, American made by American workers.

fishhawk2700 said:
I have a couple of each scope, and I have found that the bdc reticle can be confusing in the heat of the moment. If you are using a scope with a bdc reticle you will need to use a ranging device to know which dot/cross hair/ect to use at extended ranges. IMHO I think you might be better off ebaying both scopes, and looking at something like a leupold vx 4.5x14x40 cds side focus w/ 30 mm tube. The ebay value of your scopes would put you close the cost of the new scope. This scope comes with a dial installed, and with some range work, a simple twist of the dial your single set of cross hairs will be right on at the desired yardage that your ML is capable shooting. All of my bdc scopes will go the way of ebay in the future. These are just my thoughts. If you have no other choice but these two scopes I would go with the leupold every time, great scopes great warranty, American made by American workers.

Practice certainly plays a role in using a BDC reticle. I've spent a lot of time behind a crossbow scope, so matching a holdover with a range has become second nature.

Certainly there's an aspect of personal preference between using a BDC reticle or dialing for elevation, but in both cases you still need to know range to your target.

Unless you are talking about adjusting a reticle to go with a Maximum Point Blank Range Method, but you can do that with a plain old crosshair reticle as well.

It will depend on how the eye relief and stock fit you; I have 1 Leopold in a drawer and 3 Nikons on my inlines

I had a nikon slugger on the optima I broke and bought a ultimate slam for my accura mr. No real complaints with the nikon, clear enough, seems decent in low light, wasnt a huge fan of the reticle but in my area a shot over 100 yds is pretty rare so they were only for range use anyways.

Went with the leupold to try something new and I know many people with them on muzzleloaders and slug guns that say nothing but good things about them. Good warranty as well it sounds like

I have a very wide range of scopes from cheap Tasco s to Nightforce s . The scopes that I am the most impressed for the money is Sightrons . Sightron makes a S Tac scope that I love even Thier cheapest Sightron scope is still a good quality scope . Sightrons are made to take the recoil of Springer pellet guns . Any scope that can hold up to the recoil of a pellet gun is a good scope! !

Back