Scope ... which one would you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dougs136Schwartz said:
I have a very wide range of scopes from cheap Tasco s to Nightforce s . The scopes that I am the most impressed for the money is Sightrons . Sightron makes a S Tac scope that I love even Thier cheapest Sightron scope is still a good quality scope . Sightrons are made to take the recoil of Springer pellet guns . Any scope that can hold up to the recoil of a pellet gun is a good scope! !
I am a big fan of Sightrons also! I have 4. I agree their bottom of the line is still a nice (inexpensive) scope.
My favorite of the ones I have is the Big Sky...amazing scope. If I had another one on hand, it would go on this rifle ... but as it is, for now it'll be one of these two that I already have.

Then if it were myself I would definitley go with the Leupold . The leupold will take the recoil better and will pull more light at dusk . The Nikon will seem brighter during the day but leupolds are tuff to beat at low light . Just my opinion and have both .

Read the posts, low light visibility is number one. This is one subject where you get what you pay for. Have a hunting partner who radios me every opening day wanting to head out at end of night when i have a solid ten minutes of light still available. This is a Leopold vs Kmart situation.

If money were not an option in this equation, the Leupold wins for sure.

There are several similarities in these two scopes. First, they both feature a BDC reticle, which will give you hold points out to 300 yards. Second, they are both standard 3-9x40mm scopes with around 5" of eye relief, and last, they both offer excellent warranties.

Now, for the differences, and these are where personal preference and budget come into play. First, the Leupold is about $100 more, but that is because you are getting better glass, with better low light performance. I know you mentioned the UltimateSlam in silver, but this scope also comes in a black matte finish and is available with an illuminated reticle as well. Overall, most of the differences are going to come down to a slight edge on Leupold's side.

The one advantage of the Nikon BDC system is their Spot-On technology, which is a really neat tool. I've used it out at the range, and it is nice to change loads, adjust the app and scope zero, and have the ability to accurately hit targets at long ranges. Depending on your hunting style, this may not make much of a difference, but this is something that I have found to be a convenient tool.

Either way, you're getting a great scope that will perform well on your muzzleloader. Good luck and happy hunting!

The Leupold has roughly an inch less eye relief than the Nikon but it should still be enough for many people. On max though it drops to 3.7" and for some people that might be cutting it a tiny bit close. I have a Redfield with a 3.7" relief on two hard kickers and so far they have worked well. Im just not a huge fan of the BDC they used.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shootin ... -3-9x40mm/

Specs on the Redfield Revolution are very similar to the Ultimate Slam and so is the warranty. They cost much less though and are available without the BDC feature.
https://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

I have an Omega on a Super DISC and i find i can just barely get comfortable with it. One inch less eye relief would be about perfect for me. A different mount such as a one piece rail of even a DNZ that allows it to move forward just a tad would be great for the Nikon Omega or Inline XR on a Super DISC. The Warnes im using now wont allow me to adjust it to suit me (perfectly) but it isnt too bad.
SuperDISC1_zpszwzkebku.jpg

SuperDISC2_zpsr9aomfr2.jpg

Nowadays there are many types of scopes available in the market with updated features. Therefore, it is a bit difficult to select the appropriate compact scope for hunting and long-range shooting. If you are looking for a scope that is compact in size and built for hunting and long-range, I would like to recommend the BARSA 1-4 × 28 IR Hunting Scope.

I have used this scope for long-range shooting. This scope will give you a good goal focus and a clear transparent approach. This scope is easier to hold because it is lighter in weight. This Barska scope can be resistant to any weather due to the waterproof and shockproof feature.

The Barska 1-4 × 28 IR hunting scope comes at affordable prices. This scope never lets the costumers' expectations fall short. Barska 1-4 × 28 IR scope is best for hunting and long-range shooting.

Last edited:
Smells a little "Spammie" too but i will bite. That Barska scope is 16oz. There are tons of much higher quality scopes that weigh 16oz The adjustments are 1/2" and not 1/4". You can buy a Leupold for only a couple dollars more than that Barska and a Redfield for less.

Back