Scout conversion shows potential with Imr4227

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
I went out today for a short session as it was getting cool out there this evening and I needed to sight my scope back in after switching rings. I took a new powder Imr4227 in 45gr charges and some 250gr fury star tip bullets in the plain crimp nosed design at .452. I had sized them down and then knurled them back up. Two sighting shots and then a 3 shot cloverleaf group at 104 yds. I wanted to drive over to 7-11 so I could find somebody to high five, lol. This bullet has not been very good on target, I just figured I would use them for getting my scope set up, lol. I was also using wool wads and the His primer modules, the load kicked pretty good, I'm curious what my fps and pressure may be running with this load. I have more shooting to do and other bullets to mess with but I am happy as a clam right now. kip

I had been using H4198 powder up till this point and although it was ok, I wasn't getting the cloverleafs I was after, and several bullets I hoped to do well with wouldn't group tight enough. this 250 gr. fury is one bullet I really wanted to be able to hunt with. I also have some .40 cal fury's comming in 225 and 250 to mess with in sabots.

I can't remember an April being this cool. It was 54 today. I think we have had maybe 4 days in the high seventies. worked on some primer modules today and mat switch my scope out. I got to looking through it yesterday evening and it just isn't bright enough in low light.

Nice shooting!

I never used 4227, how was the fouling? I've read it can be somewhat dirty and have possible cold weather issues but I believe most of that was with a .50 cal Savage MLII. Which wool wads are you using?

Last edited:
Most of the ignition issues that 4227 had were in the original Savage plug but even the MLII plug isnt that great for it either. Ive talked to guys with NULAs that used 4227 without a hiccup. Huge difference in the two plugs.

The way i see it though is 4227 was made for magnum pistol calibers. Not reduced loads either so it was designed for high pressure loads. 45gr compressed in a 460S&W is making A LOT OF PRESSURE. Oddly it does not make anywhere near that much when used sabotless with a 275gr bullet. It starts to spike pretty good with a 300gr though. The short jump before the bullet obturates into the lands must be helping to keep the peak much lower.

The unknown variably is there is not a single trace of 4227 and a short flame channel LRMP system. I have not seen any Quick Load estimates either. The only person ive seen shooting any amounts of it is using a barrel OVER 1.2" in diameter. That barrel is way stronger than a 1" break action barrel.

I was using the eastern maine wool wads. I haven't looked to see how dirty the powder burns, just brought the gun home and put it in my man cave room. I may move up to about 48-50 depending on bullet weight I try it with ( 4227 ) I still have the bear creek 280's I haven't tried yet and the fury 40 cal saboted star tip crimped bullets in 225 and 250. the saboted bullets I shot the other day were through the brake, and it didn't dawn on me until I was home and then the light bulb came on. even so I got a 1 1/2" three shoot group at 104 yds. I fired a 4th shot that was semi keyholed and I had forgotten the wool wad on that one. GM54-120, thanks for looking into this powder for me and digging up all you could find on it, I really appreciate the help. kip

I just feel like if you have a bullet you want to shoot, it can make a world of difference if you have more than one powder to try them with. and the barnes tez's and bear creeks, I have a sneaking suspicion that the 4227 may just do real well with those solid coppers.

Latest posts

Back