Seating problems TC inline

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Reaction score
Was helping a buddy shooting his new TC .50.
He was excited and frustrated. That kind of guy.
Rem Kleenbore 209- 777 2f- Barnes TMZ with the supplied sabot.
Crud ring buildup was something else after 2 shots even after wet swab- 99% alcohol and Ballistol 40/60 mix.
After 3rd shot couldn't get the bullet to seat on powder without ramming the bullet down hard.
Pulled the breech plug and the crud ring was very pronounced, so I took the brass brush and brushed it good. with a lot still remaining we tried again, bullet still hard to seat.
I'm new at this stuff too, and never used 777, got any suggestions? Different sabot? I know he didn't prep his barrel, ergo, Lee Shavers break-in. Just started shooting out of the box.
After he cleaned his barrel with the newfangled TC foam later that day the barrel looked fine to me. I'll see him in a week or so and try it again.

I shoot the dirty 7 and its all I use. I use windex or the blue stuff you put in your car reservoir. After each shot I wet a patch, run it down and you will most certainly feel the crud ring. I pump the cleaning rod 8-10 times back and forth over the crud ring and eventually you dont feel the resistance. Its gone. Then a dry patch and shoot again. Repeat. It takes more than 1 or 2 strokes to clear that crud ring. 8-10 and that may depend on your projectile and grains of powder used.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I get more understanding of this BP experience. As in, when swabbing I "assumed" to push wet patch down then out- ONCE. That's what I get for assuming, as nowhere have I ever read to swab until no roughness.

Yep, upon pushing the cleaning jag down it will hit a spot near the bottom that offers a lot of resistance (At least for me). You will have to push to get past it to the other side to the plug. Now work the jag up and down until it moves freely. You'll get a feel for it. When I think the crud is gone I like to hold the cleaning rod very lightly to try an feel for more resistance. Just use the fingertips to push through that spot. If you feel resistance stroke a few more times.

The crud will not come out with one pass. At least for me. I may have just repeated myself but trying to give a little more detail.

Use a different powder that stuff is really awful in some guns and some areas. I found out the hard way I spent so much time and effort to get the crud ring out that it was no longer fun to shoot. I went to prydex for my side locks and Blackhorn 209 for the inlines, end of problem.

I highly recommend Butch's. Here's why............ I shot EXTREME heavy charges of T7 out of an Ultimate BP Xpress for 5yrs, charges production rifles are incapable of.
One patch, both sides, a couple strokes only at the crud ring and crud ring is gone. Dry patch afterwards.
Soaked patches for swabbing are a bad thing IMO. One 'thinks' they get everything dry, but some makes it into the flash hole.
I no longer shoot that rifle but, it could be cleaned SPOTTLESS with just 5 patches.
As for break-in's......... I use the ENCORE method. :)
T7 used and cleaned properly is just fine for most (not all) ;)

What ever you use........... get rid of that ring

I'll pass along the information to him the next time we shoot.
And it is something I will do when swabbing now that I have a better understanding. I don't shoot T7, yet, but I imagine I will try it at some point in time.

Now for you Encore: "As for break-in's......... I use the ENCORE method. "
What is your method?

I used T7 and hated the crud ring and finally switch to BH209. Awesome clean burning powder.

Triple 7 is a good powder when shot with #11 caps. 209 primers are too hot and create the crud ring, especially in a tight bore.

Back