Second time out at the lake

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My nephew had to take his girl friend back home early this morning and so I took a shower and he came back around 1030, I got all the stuff ready, we made a stop at a store along the way for some supplies. Good thing i picked up the Colorado fishing booklet! My nephew caught one hell of a fish we've never seen before in this lake and a few casts later, i reeled in another one, only a good deal skinnier.

The 2 fish we caught are called Splake, its a cross between a Brook trout and a lake trout. They are freakin fun to catch because they are fighters.

We caught 5 at one spot and then had to move to the dam area due to the wind. I caught one trout and my nephew caught the other 2 we needed for our limit. He beat me 6-2 the little bastard! It was a great time though, I don't care who catches what, just as long as we get to take something home to cook and boy do they smell good right now!
S1440008.jpg

S1440005.jpg

S1440003.jpg

And yes, They were very yummy LOL. Took a break to taste them and the Splake are very soft and do not have a heavy fish smell or flavor to them.

i think we have a total of 2 game wardens in this county. This lake is a lure/fly only deal and you will see a group of people bait fishing. Kind of funny because they normally are sitting there all day with the same pole in the water while my nephew and i are catching them.

oh yeah, Rocky found a crayfish on the beach, swiped it and munched on it until it oozed this green/yellow color and then hacked it out :lol: It was freakin funny seeing the look on that dogs face.

Dogs are funny. Although when Buddy tried to bite a porcupine. It wasn't funny. Cost me $150 at the vet.

there were times it felt like it. Nothing that bad yet but who knows what will happen until it hits.

Funny how many guys fish but don't eat what they catch , i can actually smell them fish you cooked ! ;)

Spitfire said:
Funny how many guys fish but don't eat what they catch , i can actually smell them fish you cooked ! ;)
I fish a lot of waters that you can't keep the fish. As a matter of fact. The law is you better get the fish back in the water right away. No screwing around taking pictures. The Colorado record for browns comes from that water. 40 1/2".

The tricky part is trying to land those fish on a light fly rod with light tippet (6x) and tiny flies. Very few can do it. Most everybody will break off when they hook into a big one. I like using a bamboo rod to absorb the power of the fish.

This will be at the Taylor River below the dam. It's a tailwater called the hog trough.

http://gunnisonriverguides.com/rivers.htm

Know what you mean Pete , i also tag and release a lot but do keep a few nice ones for the pan.

Like you say it's great fun fishing with light tackle .

Caught my biggest tiger fish to date with my lightest rod !

I do C&R 100% of the time. Mostly for the sport of it, but also because I don't like fish all that much. I'm more into red meat.

Did you see the fish that are caught on the Taylor River catch and release area? I love that place. It takes me about 30 minutes to get there. It's also a great hunting area. Me and Jon were suppose to hunt there last year, but he changed to hunting another area. I may hunt there this year. Not sure yet. It would be an OTC tag in rifle season. Which means it will be very crowded.

My plan this year is to go fish the Taylor River in the morning, and then do some elk scouting in the afternoon. Do that once/twice a week should give me an idea of the area. I only know it now for fishing.

Nice catch FG! Hard to beat fresh trout on the table.

We also have sterile cross fish here in Massachusetts. It's called the Tiger Trout which is a cross between a female brown and a male brook. Check it out :arrow:
miketiger_zps6d27c5d7.jpg

FrontierMuzzleloading said:
oh yeah, Rocky found a crayfish on the beach, swiped it and munched on it until it oozed this green/yellow color and then hacked it out :lol: It was freakin funny seeing the look on that dogs face.
If I was there, I would have swiped the crawdad from him, popped into boiling water and ate it myself. Make a trap out of hardware cloth with a small funnel and tie down a piece of liver to the bottom wires. Leave it overnight and get enough for a crawfish boil Cajun-style. Yum, yum !

Something like a McNabb Pete ! Fish in the morning , wingshoot in the afternoon and hunt an antelope before the day is done ?

That sounds like more fun. Scouting is just work with no reward.

Although I could fish all day, and forget the scouting. :D

Latest posts

Back