SECRET Don't tell anyone else

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Reaction score
I do not recall how many times I have heard someone relate to having a hard seating bullet and had to look for something to put over the end of the ramrod to push it down. Well here is my secret. When loading a rifle most times you use a short starter so it is in your hand when you need something to put over the ramrod. I make my own short starters out of a 1 and 1/8 inch block of walnut. I then drill a hole on one side that is just slightly larger than the end of the ramrod and about 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep. After I short start the bullet I place the ramrod in the barrel and the short starter over the end of the ramrod and use it to help push the load home. Even if you use a round topped ball starter a hole drilled in it will not affect the operation and makes it useful for another purpose. I haven't had a sore palm since I did this.

If you had bought a Savage it comes with a short starter, never use it though. 8)

Well I have a TC T-Handle short starter that has a palm saver built in... one side of the T is recessed to put over the rod. I also have a Powerbelt short start ball set that has a palm saver in it as well... real nice for those long days at the range. I use the T in the field and the ball on the line.

I bought a T handle that screws into my ramrod and can swivel to inline with the ramrod. Guess what it only fits the end of the ramrod that goes into the storage slot in the rifle. I make my own short starters out of a square block of 1 1/8 walnut and a dowel. (Must be the scottish heritage comming out.) :lol: At the bench I use a T handled range rod so no problem but when reloading in the field after a shot the reload on a fouled barrel can be a little stiffer so since I use a short starter anyway the hole drilled in the head makes it more versital.

Or you could just buy the Lexan speed loaders that have the short starter and a indintion(sp) for the ram rod built in. 4 in 1 speed loader.

I'm with Paul! Got the round ball type short starter with a staring jag on the end, and a hole drilled to make it a palm saver AND a flat spot ground on one side of the ball for starting XTP's. 8)

Latest posts

Back