Federal BOR Lock bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Several months ago I bought several packs 350 gr lead Federal BOR Lock bullets. These were seconds - loose tips. But they shot fantastic out of my 700ML. Easily sub-MOA.
However I noticed on one occasion that when I withdrew the ramrod the bullet was stuck in the loading tip/jag and the skirting and base were still down in the bore. For safety's sake I pulled the BP and pushed everything out.
I talked to Federal about this about an hour ago telling them what had happened and that someone on here had the same issue. He did not have any recommended loading tip to use and told me he always gave the ramrod a twist to avoid this. I told him that you can't do that with a spin jag. We discussed a couple different options with him stating that the tip of the BOR Lock is extremely durable and even if marred a bit would not effect accuracy!
What I use is the jag for the Barnes TSX and TEZ bullets but I may just put a drop of silicone into the hole in the jag to keep it off the bullet and still cushion the tip. Someone in here said they put cotton in the tip but I want something more permanent.
You guys got any other options?

Several months ago I bought several packs 350 gr lead Federal BOR Lock bullets. These were seconds - loose tips. But they shot fantastic out of my 700ML. Easily sub-MOA.
However I noticed on one occasion that when I withdrew the ramrod the bullet was stuck in the loading tip/jag and the skirting and base were still down in the bore. For safety's sake I pulled the BP and pushed everything out.
I talked to Federal about this about an hour ago telling them what had happened and that someone on here had the same issue. He did not have any recommended loading tip to use and told me he always gave the ramrod a twist to avoid this. I told him that you can't do that with a spin jag. We discussed a couple different options with him stating that the tip of the BOR Lock is extremely durable and even if marred a bit would not effect accuracy!
What I use is the jag for the Barnes TSX and TEZ bullets but I may just put a drop of silicone into the hole in the jag to keep it off the bullet and still cushion the tip. Someone in here said they put cotton in the tip but I want something more permanent.
Perhaps not using a spin jag on that particular bullet. I've got so many jags I just pull em all out and test fit them to the bullet. My thought is a Powerbelt ELR jag, or the Bore Driver ELD-X jag would help. Both have DEEP cavities, which might contact the copper instead of the tip. ***Shoot I'll go test this right now......The WINNER is the new "ELD-X jag". It contacts solidly on the copper leaving the tip alone. The ELR interfaces right at the junction where the copper and tip meet on a 270gr Bor Lock .50. Hope this helps

Yeah, it’s really just a matter of test fitting some different jags. My SpinJag and Barnes Aligner tips work great with the 350 BOR Locks.

A couple more ideas. I have wrapped a little emery cloth around the tip of a bullet and polished the inside of jags and on occasion used a very small amount of lube on the inside of the jag. Both those things help if the jag is wanting to grab the bullet.

Perhaps you guys didn't understand me or I didn't explain it correctly. Its not the tip that is catching in the loading jag its the bullet itself. The lead is soft and the spin jag bites into the bullet not the tip.
My SpinJags and Barnes aligners don’t do that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve got a Barnes loading jag and never have had a problem. And I seat my BH209 charges very firmly.

I’ve got a Barnes loading jag and never have had a problem. And I seat my BH209 charges very firmly.
Are you loading the Federal 350 gr lead BOR lock bullets? I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue with the copper ones.
And Federal is aware of the problem with them. That's why they say to twist the rod a bit before pulling out.

Yup , The 350’s are lead. Maybe try this If one doesn’t have time to contour the jag or get an appropriate one. Insert a fitting ; or such, wool wad in the jag. I found they stay in the jag upon loading.
Just a thought.
And I agree. The BorLoks; copper & lead have shot great out of my 700ml’s.
BP subs & smokeless.
A friend of mine just had a custom 50 cal. 1/28 LR. Built it with the 270 CU BorLok. He is one happy camper with its accuracy.

The cotton wool tip worked for me with elrs

Back