Separate cases for your scope and rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimA

Reaction score
Does anyone else pack their scope in its own case away from the rifle when you travel? :?:
Last fall when the gorillas at Delta managed to trash two of Doohan's scopes despite the great guncase he had them packed in, I thought about all the force generated when a rifle case is dropped or otherwise mishandled. :idea: It seemed to me that packing the scope in a good pistol case would help protect it from the " careful " handling in transit. The down side is one more piece to lose. I have QR rings on all my scopes so I bought a thickly padded pistol case that will easily accommodate three good size scopes.

Hey Jim!
Well I've done that just about every way imaginable. USUALLY...and probably the BEST way is to carry two complete rifle/scope combos. When traveling with someone else I always take one of THEIR rifles with ME in my case and they take one of MY rifles with THEM in their case. THAT way in case one set of rifles/scopes IS busted OR lost..we have a spare in a seperate case. ALSO..I have taken another sighted in scope with detatchable mounts packed with my luggage. Since the JJ Incident I now ALWAYS take an extra scope in my luggage. I usually just pack it between some clothing. The pistol case sounds like a good idea. Practically always I have time to resight in a scope/rifle.

When traveling with someone else I always take one of THEIR rifles with ME in my case and they take one of MY rifles with THEM in their case.

Great idea, I have never thought of doing that. Makes alot of sense.

I like to keep my scope off the rifle even on long drives to a hunt if I can shoot it before going out. The idea of keeping a scope in your carry on on a plane just sounds like the ticket to me. I guess I can leave the pistol case home if I have to fly.

Mountain Man said:
Can you not keep the scope in your carry on? Then you KNOW it is not mishandled.

I always place my laptop, digital camera and Ipod in my carry on case for a safer journey. So I am sure can make room for my scopes.

Latest posts

Back