Settling black powder charges

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been testing the tapping method for leveling the powder charge. I started with the 80 grain V black powder charge. I tested from 0 to 10 taps using a knapping hammer. These were light taps. I would fill the measure, level with the funnel, and lightly tap. I would top off the charge, level the charge with funnel, and weigh the charge. When I got to the 10 taps the charge got almost to the 80 grains weight and more consistent in weight.

My question is: Has anyone tested beyond to 10 taps?

I have a vibrating case cleaner. Could I use this vibrating action to settle the black powder charge? Can the black powder charge be too compact?

if you need more with black powder just increase your measure !!!!!!!!!!

It looks to me like I could get rid of the powder measure and the tapping. I could weigh the black powder charges on a scale and be done with it. I am getting a set of Lane's tubes in few days. The maximum black powder charge on my rifle is 100 grV. Would I dare to weight 100 grW and use it in my rifle? When I was doing the tapping test, I tested the 100 grV and some of the 10 taps weighted a little more than 100 grW.

are finer powders like fffg more likely to be more consistent when using a volume measurer or is it the same as the variances of ffg ?
i'm curious if finer particles settle more evenly since larger particles can have more air space between them .

From what I see, the black powder business is loose. I see on some of the post that 100 grV would measure differently on another powder measure. I read in one of my books that black powder is so inefficient that the differences in measure is not a problem. I am going to try premeasuring my charges at home and test with the chronograph to see what I get.

The post talking about FFFg powder. I do not have enough of FFFg powder to do a test. Black powder is very hard to get. I am hoping Goex will go back into business. I know black powder is used in starting the combustion of the main charges of military munitions. The military demand must be met. So hopefully black powder will return to the market. I am interested in doing a test about the settling FFFg powder.

I would tap several times 3-4 would be plenty. Then slide you funnel to scrape off any excess. If there is a void then sprinkle more on then slide your funnel to scrape off the excess. Then I would weigh about 5-10 of them to find your avg weight. You may want to round it off to make it easier for yourself and then weigh them and place in your tubes for your range trip

If I'm going to the range to do some load testing this is what I do.
1. I'll measure a load by volume. Say 80 gr by volume. No tapping - just pour to the mark.
2. Weigh that charge on a scale and dump into a tube.
3. Weigh successive charges to that scale amount and pour into tubes.
4. Repeat this process for the next series of charges (i.e.: 90 gr Volume)

I may be wrong, but i thought, as far as real black powder goes, 100gr volume is supposed to weigh 100gr also. Not sure if its supposed to be ffg or fffg or what.
Nope it doesn't 100 gr OE 3F volume = 102.7 weighed and if I got out of the chair and tried other they too would be different but I had a long day dropping trees . Perhaps the difference for hunting is different but I try my best to use the same load as exact as the previous ,hunting or target /Ed

I often tap it a few times if there is a little mound of powder. I hate to waste black powder for no reason. No difference in shooting from what I can tell.

I often tap it a few times if there is a little mound of powder. I hate to waste black powder for no reason. No difference in shooting from what I can tell.
Me too ,that's why I weight my charges 1st and use airtight tubes for carry . Black gold is expensive and hard to find ,just makes sense, I also eat the ends on a loaf of bread !/Ed

Back