Shooting balls out of my optima.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mau118

Reaction score
I just purchased a CVA optima .50. I am new to muzzleloading but can tell I am already hooked.

Does anyone know what size balls to shoot out of this gun? I would like to shoot these for cheap rounds at the range. Shooting sabot or powerbelts just for fun may start to get a little expensive.

thank for the help. I realize I could search and find my answer but you guys might be faster.

.490 with a .015 patch

you may also want to buy a package of those felt wads that go on top of the powder before you load the patched ball.

If you use pyrodex start out at 40 grains. If using triple 7 i highly would recommend that you buy those felt wads.

Thanks.

I just find this in CVA's website.

"Round ball and patch loads are not recommended for CVA break action rifles. The fast rifling pitch (1 turn in 28 inches) will not properly stabilize round balls and will result in less than satisfactory accuracy."

I guess the only reason they dont recommend it is because of accuracy? There is no damage that can be done to the barrel is there?

if you use to much powder, the accuracy can be really bad. i used to shoot PRBs out of a cva staghorn some years back with 40gr pyrodex rs and the accuracy was awesome.

Like everything, you have to get out there with some stuff and then start working on it.

No,,you'll not damage the barrel. Accuracy might stink though. Try 30-35gr. of powder. It's a good "plinking" load if ya just wanna have some fun. 8)

If you want some cheap shooting, get XTP's in bulk or some other bullet. And then get the sabots in bulk as well it will cut the cost down.

Another cheap thing to shoot is REAL conicals if you can find them. I cast them. So they are basically free to me. And in fast twist rifles they can be real accurate if you do not push them too hard. Out of my White, they are down right deadly accurate. When the White owners told me this, I of course had my doubts but I casted a bunch, sized them to my White and load them with 50 grains of powder. Amazing accuracy.

Patched ball will shoot well, but like mentioned use very little powder. In my Wolverine I shoot 50 grains and a patch ball and have small game hunted with it. Very accurate load.

Good luck with your rifle.

Thanks again.

Thats what I want, just some loads to have fun with. Plus if I take some new people out to shoot I would rather them shoot something other than powerbelts or sabots which arent readily available here.

Bought a box of .49 which is recommended for the Remington Genesis. They didn't say the thickness of the patch. I too am curious how they would do for 50 yards or less.

For the pach and ball in a 1/28 twist ,I would suggest to try it first.
With a Tradition E-bolt I shot a 7 points deer at 85 Yard , dropped in his tracks.
I used .491 Remington Ball with a .15 patch and 80gr. Pyrodex select.
Did have excellent grouping 2.5 to 3" at 100 yards with Disc Elite .50 cal.
Like other say, stay 80gr. and under.
Taureau noir

They shoot really well out of my Remington. 80 grains of Pyrodex RS, .490 ball, pillow ticking patch. I've never used felt wads except in my smoothbores.

mau, A couple of suggestions: First, try varying patch thickness with the .490" RB,, e.g., .010," .014", .018" (These are compressed dimensions.). Second, try 50grs. (by volume) of FFg or Pyrodex RS or 1 Pyrodex pellet with a given patch thickness, making sure you wipe the bore after you seat the ball, but before you cap the piece. Wipe the bore again after you fire the rifle. Once you determine which patch works best, try a 60gr. charge (loose powder) and increase it to 80grs. or until groups open up. You can also try a .495" ball, but in my particular rifle it was too large. Btw, my rifle is very sensitive to powder granulation and shoots considerably smaller groups with FFg and Pyrodex RS than it does with FFFg and Pyrodex P.

Back