Shooting full bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's all by feel. I adjust the die a little at a time until I can push the bullet in by hand. I then push it through the barrel with a starter and finish with my ram rod. If it feels too tight I will tighten the die a little more until I get what I feel is the right amount of force to seat the bullet. I then measure the bullet for future reference. I leave my die there and I start sizing. You might have to readjust if your die is new so check fitment about every 5 bullets until your die is settled in.

I watched Jeff Hankins and Luke on youtube when I first started sizing.

In general, I size to 8-9# loading force in a clean barrel, measured with a Wagner force gauge.
Once fouled loading forces increase to 18#=/-.

Fury bullets you can size once without spring back.
Other bullets you have to size for spring back if they'll be setting for some time.
Each different bullet, ie: 250gr, 275gr, 300gr and a 350gr will size differently. If you only shoot one bullet, then once you find the right spot on the die, you should be set.
Fury will size with one pass. Other manufacturers bullets are sized for 5 times through the die. Spring back is minimal.

Just my 2¢ :)

In general, I size to 8-9# loading force in a clean barrel, measured with a Wagner force gauge.
Once fouled loading forces increase to 18#=/-.

Fury bullets you can size once without spring back.
Other bullets you have to size for spring back if they'll be setting for some time.
Each different bullet, ie: 250gr, 275gr, 300gr and a 350gr will size differently. If you only shoot one bullet, then once you find the right spot on the die, you should be set.
Fury will size with one pass. Other manufacturers bullets are sized for 5 times through the die. Spring back is minimal.

Just my 2¢ :)
+1 on the Fury bullets

I switched to the Fury .453 STB for this year. That bullet shoots great in my Knight .45 DISC sized down just a tad. Killed a big doe here in Illinois during ML season and the bullet performed better than I could have imagined. Picture is entry of a quartering away doe at 65yds. Exit looked about the same.

Attachments

• IMG_4654.JPG
    IMG_4654.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back