Shooting techniques and tips: New Forum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Welcome aboard gang! This forum is to answer questions you have about shooting technique with rifle,pistol, or shotgun. Also from time to time I will post articles/lessons for your enjoyment. I will be pleased to answer your questions and entertain your comments, because I am the Rifleman :D

Rifleman,
Your a NRA member right? You see the "Military Skills for Hunters" article in the Mag this month? t was pretty interesting.

Here is a tip just for you Scott, balance a dime on your rifle barrel while in the off hand position and dry fire the rifle on a target. When you can do it ten times in a row without knocking off the dime, you are starting to get somewhere.

Rifleman,
Your a NRA member right? You see the "Military Skills for Hunters" article in the Mag this month? t was pretty interesting.

Sorry Patrick I dont get that magazine but yes I am a member.

HTR, once you figure it out, it is not that hard.

Rman

Congrats on the new forum R-man!!!

Serious question...

Where does the term : JAR-HEAD come from anyhow? I think R. Lee Ermy explained it once... but I forgot the origin... I'm sure you have this on the tip of your tongue!

Thanks in advance... and NO .. I'm not making fun of you .

JJ

Dwight:

O.K. then, how do you place the dime on the barrel, pick up the rifle, then mount it in the shoulder pocket like you showed me and still keep the dime balanced ?? :mrgreen:

I can train the dogs to pick up a dime, but not place it on the barrel!! :wink:

Rifleman said:
balance a dime on your rifle barrel while in the off hand position and dry fire the gun on a target. When you can do it ten times in a row without knocking off the dime, you are starting to get somewhere.

That would get me in the prone position, searching for change in the middle of the grass. The great value for me would be the triumph of poverty over pride, and naturally the added benefit of barrel cooling time.

That's all well and good for revolvers, but will it work for rifles as well? :shock:

I use a drop of rubber cement on my dime... really helps out! :roll:

What a bunch of smart guys!

It is a legitimate tip, you get someone else to place the dime for you, duh.
It is really used for new shooters with the m16 series and the dime is placed on the wings of the front sight. Boys on that rifle it can be done, and I would bet the barrel is thick enough on the MLII, I will try it.
You just have no idea what kinds of offhand drills they put us through as shooting instructors and team members, lol, the grass week for recruits is easy in comparison. How would you like to hold the gun in an offhand postion for a 1/2 hr straight, and have to do pushups if you let it down? Yup, no joke

JJ the tem jarhead, well lets just say I don't believe your not poking fun.

I tried the dime drill inside by myself and did it I will demonstrate at the next shoot.We also did the dime drill in the Army.

Rifleman said:
How would you like to hold the gun in an offhand postion for a 1/2 hr straight, and have to do pushups if you let it down?

Those Rifleman shoots are tougher than I thought! Pie and push-ups don't work all that well together. :shock:

And to think Rifleman was complaining about my shotgun and how tired he would be if he had to shoot it all evening long! I'll bring it down again, and set the timer for ya! :lol:

I'll bet I can balance the dime with no problem - we'll see next time I'm down. 8)

Doohan said:

Serious question...

Where does the term : JAR-HEAD come from anyhow? I think R. Lee Ermy explained it once... but I forgot the origin... I'm sure you have this on the tip of your tongue!

JJ
This is from Wikipedia- The slang originated during WWII when the Mason Jar Company started making their helmets, and refers to the similarity that the shape of the helmet shares with a jar as well as the typical haircut new recruits are given. - It can also be argued that the term dates back to the British Royal Marines during the 18th century who stood watch in the crow's nest of vessels. In their watch positions they could not depart to relieve themselves, and did so into a jar. The Naval term for a lavatory is "The Head".
Me- By the way the marines of old wore a tall heavy leather collar to protect the neck from sabers, knives, etc. and the term "Leather neck" was born.

Doohan said:

Serious question...

JJ
Here is a site that lends even more to the "jarhead" term origination theories: http://www20.brinkster.com/gunnyg/jarhead.html

Latest posts

Back