Shooting the Deer Creek Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I took the pistol out for a break-in shoot this morning. I tried a .480 ball with .020 ticking with mink oil and a .490 ball with .015 muslin with mink oil. Both were shot with 20 gr. of Goex 3FG and Goex 4FG for a pan prime.
I shot without a rest at 10 yards and the most consistent load was the .490 ball. It was difficult to get it past the muzzle and I had to 'hammer' it in with the knob of the short starter. Once past the muzzle it slid down easily.
I shot 9 times and got one pan flash. I think it was due to a small amount of 4F in the pan. I re-primed with a full pan and it shot fine.

CVAfired1web_zpsfcfef91c.jpg

CVAfired2web_zps97989990.jpg

CVAfired3web_zpsb571e3ad.jpg

CVAfired4web_zps19e8d4ed.jpg

Now that's fire and smoke. Awesome pics Bob. Glad you had a good time breaking her in. 8) 

Ray........... :Red tup:

Looking good ..the dragon roared and belched flame !  Glad you got her shooting.

Maybe video, then stop frame and print possibly :scratch: Check with Bob.

Ray............ :Questuon:

Ray's right. Advance video frame by frame until the only frame with the powder flash shows up.

It's amazing that I can't see that flash at all in the video running at normal speed.

It's right between my eyebrows above the bridge of my nose . A pair of i-Kam video glasses.

Here's the video.

th_CVAPistol_zpsbbfe342e.jpg

I may depending on how well I need to see. The video glasses don't have Rx lenses. I can shoot a pistol better without glasses than a rifle because I sight with my left eye which is 20-30 vision. My right eye is 20-15 and I can't see up close things very well.

Better than me. I have vision in only one eye, and it's 20/30 on a good day, and 20/40 on a normal day. Up close I can't see a thing. I've actually adjusted to shooting pretty good with blurry vision.

Just line up the two blurry open sights with the blurry target, and let it rip!  :pirat: 

I'm thankful for the eyesight I have. Many people our age have issues with glaucoma and macular degeneration.

Luckily a pistol is not for long range work so the target will be bigger blur to aim at .

Awesome Bob and your right about having the vision we at this time. I'm great full also.

Ray........... :Red tup:

patocazador said:
I'm thankful for the eyesight I have. Many people our age have issues with glaucoma and macular degeneration.
Glaucoma is how I lost the sight in my right eye. I'm hoping my left eye doesn't get it.

Don't you have to use drops to keep the pressure down in your eyes? Most, if not all, glaucoma patients do.

I don't have it in my good eye. My right eye has had so much damage from the pressure that they had to gouge out everything from the eyeball, and replace it with a plastic ball. So, it doesn't build pressure anymore. It never healed right, so i have to wear a patch for the rest of my life.  :pirat: 

Sadly, it's the drops that made me go blind. The doctor screwed up, and by the time it was realized the optic nerve had been destroyed. I not only lost the sight in one eye, but because I was a truck driver at the time I lost my ability to do my job. You have to have 20/40 in both eyes to have a commercial license. I had an easy lawsuit if I wanted to pursue it, but i'm not that type. I just roll with the punches, and that was a good punch.

Back